Foscam R4 bricked & stuck at Amboot

Reaction score
I have two new R4 and managed to brick one (BSOD during firmware update).

The dud I have a serial USB connector connected and all I see in PuTTY is the boot screen, I can't interrupt it or get any commands to the device.
___ ___ _________ _
/ _ \ | \/ || ___ \ | |
/ /_\ \| . . || |_/ / ___ ___ | |_
| _ || |\/| || ___ \ / _ \ / _ \ | __|
| | | || | | || |_/ /| (_) || (_) || |_
\_| |_/\_| |_/\____/ \___/ \___/ \__|
----------------------------------------------------------
Amboot(R) Ambarella(R) Foscam(R) Copyright (C) 2004-2014 2015-05-23
Foscam(R) Copyright (C) 2015-05-23
will reset phy by g95.
reset phy completed, gpios2 data: 0xF8001EFF.​

I have tried all the key combinations this is all I see. What am I missing?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you can return the foscams do so...they are subpar...

Reaction score
The bricked one is in bits so no-returnee. The other R4 I have is impressive. If I knew how to clone the memory from the good one to the brick....

STCA

n3wb
Reaction score
Any progress here? Also where did you get the BIN image to restore it with? I just briked my R4 today. I was about to sodder on some wires to connect a USB to. You do the same?

Reaction score
I found pinboard wires the best to connect the serial-USB adapter. They slot right into the PCB holes but wasn't able to get past the boot up screen. Despite this I had no joy so returned it to FOSCAM who replaced under warranty. The replacement bricked as well - same version firmware, same stage of the process but a fresh download and a different browser. So THAT was returned and FOSCAM who are trying to work out what the issue with the firmware is. And sending me a new one.

Some FOSCAM models will boot from microSD card, but according to support, not the R4.

Reaction score
I found pinboard wires the best to connect the serial-USB adapter. They slot right into the PCB holes but wasn't able to get past the boot up screen. Despite this I had no joy so returned it to FOSCAM who replaced under warranty. The replacement bricked as well - same version firmware, same stage of the process but a fresh download and a different browser. So THAT was returned and FOSCAM who are trying to work out what the issue with the firmware is. And sending me a new one.

Some FOSCAM models will boot from microSD card, but according to support, not the R4.
Sorry for floating an old topic, but do you have the pinout of the JTAG port of the camera, please?

I have bricked my R4M during the firmware upgrade and I am trying to access it.