FPS issue on some cameras, others are fine

Reaction score
Greetings!

Running BI on old server (Xeon X3430, 32 GB ram, O/S on RAID-6, storage on 4TB WD Purple), having some issues with FPS

Server is running 25-30% CPU utilization, 10-15% memory in use
Server has no other workloads in the office, it's strictly for BI use.

Sony SNC-RX550N - FPS is fine
Sony RZ30N - FPS is fine
Q-See 444 series - FPS is fine
Samsung SND-L6013R - running at 1 FPS
Samsung SND-L6083R - running at 1 FPS (two of these cameras, same issue)

The Samsung cameras are all set to use H.264, 5 FPS, but I'm only seeing 1 FPS, with occasional dropped frames.

BI settings: only Samsung settings that pull video is QNx-6010 MJEG. I can set it to Generic / RTSP H.264 and it'll bump up to as much as 2 FPS, but that's it.

Any tricks to proper setup of these cameras to get decent video footage?

Thanks!

P.S.
192.168.1.3 is the server. 192.168.1.137 is my GM, who prefers to use the BI software rather than the web interface.

framerate discrepancy samsung dome camera.jpg

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know anything about those cameras but I have a few finicky older cameras that will only get up to their assigned fps if I reboot them once in a while AND don't ask them to do too much (maybe try a factory reset on those cameras):

Don't use wifi, do use ethernet
All backlighting off.
Don't try to do too much noise reduction.
Use default exposure.

Figure out what your cameras respond positively to:
FPS and Iframe interval the same (5 fps and 5 iframe interval) or 5fps and double (10 iframe interval)
CBR or VBR with an appropriate bitrate for the resolution.
Smart IR on or off or on with manual settings.
Day/Night switch settings automatic or manual.

It's really just an exercise in trial and error.

Reaction score
Update:
After a bit of trial and error, I found that "Generic" and RTSP H.264 . . . " gets me 2 FPS, so I'm over the 1 FPS wall I seemed to have earlier, but it still seems to me that getting to 4-5 FPS per camera should be doable on this machine with capable CPU and plenty of memory.

Two thoughts:
  • Total number of cameras is 10. 7 of them are these Samsung models.
  • I've read of Intel's QuickSync being important. The current CPU is a Lynnfield series from 2009, and the QuickSync CPUs were part of Sandy Bridge. Any thoughts on how much impact this could have?

Thanks all, and Happy Holidays!

Reaction score
more info . . .

ran a test on our main server with two E5-2450 Xeon 8 core CPUs, frame rate is still around 1-2 FPS

Time to go hit a glass of Christmas Scotch and think this one over . . .

Cheers :rofl:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
more info . . .

ran a test on our main server with two E5-2450 Xeon 8 core CPUs, frame rate is still around 1-2 FPS

Time to go hit a glass of Christmas Scotch and think this one over . . .

Cheers :rofl:
your problem is that your are pulling the mjpeg stream instead of the rtsp stream. You have something improperly setup in blue iris, the camera or both.

Reaction score
your problem is that your are pulling the mjpeg stream instead of the rtsp stream. You have something improperly setup in blue iris, the camera or both.
I noticed that, too. My GM still has Blue Iris on his system - doesn't care for the web server version - and some of his cameras are still setup to grab the MJPEG. Would that setting pull the whole camera down to the abysmal FPS rates I'm seeing?

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed that, too. My GM still has Blue Iris on his system - doesn't care for the web server version - and some of his cameras are still setup to grab the MJPEG. Would that setting pull the whole camera down to the abysmal FPS rates I'm seeing?
Yes if he is pulling the mjpeg stream that could be affecting your system.. for testing disable the camera on his system or have him also pull the onvif

Reaction score
Happy day after!

As a test I changed one of the cameras to a new IP address so nothing else is getting thrown in the mix, added to BI from scratch, made sure H.264 is default, still seems to be pulling JPEG. Am I missing something obvious?

Hope you all had a great holiday,

Mike

Attachments