Framerate FPS Setting

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand the difference between the FPS setting in the camera's setting vs the FPS setting in BlueIris. I assume they should be set the same, but I can't tell if there's any negative effect with them being set differently.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand the difference between the FPS setting in the camera's setting vs the FPS setting in BlueIris. I assume they should be set the same, but I can't tell if there's any negative effect with them being set differently.
There is no Blue Iris FPS setting . The software will auto adjust to whatever the cameras sending regardless of what you set it to in blue iris..fps must be set in the camera.

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There is no Blue Iris FPS setting . The software will auto adjust to whatever the cameras sending regardless of what you set it to in blue iris..fps must be set in the camera.
Interesting, I always set my FPS In the camera,and then I also go into blueiris and make sure it matches the camera fps setting. Now I will say this If I DONT go into blueiris and change the fps setting I'll get the yellow triangle. Once I go into blueiris and make sure the fps setting is the same as the camera fps the yellow triangle goes away. Also if I restart the cameras or the blueiris software I will also get a yellow triangle until I go back into the settings in blueiris and change the fps to match the camera fps, once I do that the triangle goes away . Is there some type a setting I have to set to make it automatic ?

Sorry it's the circle not triangle lol it's something yellow

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm on 4.4.6.3.

Here's what I found in the help menu (guessed I should've searched first)

"Only use the Framerate limiting compatibility mode if you are unable to control the FPS and/or bandwidth that your camera is producing and you need to find a way to lower the CPU requirements of the full stream. When this mode is enabled, Blue Iris will attempt to meter and refuse incoming data, limiting the number of frames processed to the setting on the Video tab. This may setup a buffering situation within the camera itself, causing a delay in the video stream. If at all possible, it is better to have the camera limit what it is sending as opposed to having Blue Iris limit what it will accept."

Fenderman, the option can be changed in the attached pic.

But this statement in the help menu makes it sound like it's only for screen captures.

"The first is simply a Screen capture. You may wish to use this option to keep a record of how your computer was used while you were away, or for testing purposes. You may choose between the UScreenCapture method (recommended), which is the most efficient, or a DirectDraw Blit method. You may also choose full resolution, 3/4, or 1/2 (recommended for screen resolutions 1024x768 and above) in the X,Y size box. Note: screen capture uses a fair amount of CPU resources--to avoid noticeably slowing down your system, avoid exceeding a frame rate of 5 fps for screen capture. Also, DirectDraw screen capture may only work properly if your screen colors are set for 32-bit (millions of colors)."

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on 4.4.6.3.

Here's what I found in the help menu (guessed I should've searched first)

"Only use the Framerate limiting compatibility mode if you are unable to control the FPS and/or bandwidth that your camera is producing and you need to find a way to lower the CPU requirements of the full stream. When this mode is enabled, Blue Iris will attempt to meter and refuse incoming data, limiting the number of frames processed to the setting on the Video tab. This may setup a buffering situation within the camera itself, causing a delay in the video stream. If at all possible, it is better to have the camera limit what it is sending as opposed to having Blue Iris limit what it will accept."

Fenderman, the option can be changed in the attached pic.

But this statement in the help menu makes it sound like it's only for screen captures.

"The first is simply a Screen capture. You may wish to use this option to keep a record of how your computer was used while you were away, or for testing purposes. You may choose between the UScreenCapture method (recommended), which is the most efficient, or a DirectDraw Blit method. You may also choose full resolution, 3/4, or 1/2 (recommended for screen resolutions 1024x768 and above) in the X,Y size box. Note: screen capture uses a fair amount of CPU resources--to avoid noticeably slowing down your system, avoid exceeding a frame rate of 5 fps for screen capture. Also, DirectDraw screen capture may only work properly if your screen colors are set for 32-bit (millions of colors)."
it cannot be changed....the help file is old...there is a release note that explains that it auto adjusts and that function no longer works. The only way to use blue iris to limit frame rates its to use the alt/framerate option the the record tab but it wastes cpu cycles. Set the frame rate in the camera. Blue iris will automatically adjust...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Thanks!
For reference june 4, 2016 release note
    • The "auto fps" check box on the Video tab has been removed. It was confusing and a very common misconception that you can "set" the fps for a network IP camera. Blue Iris has always used whatever the camera sends. This value exists primarily so that the software can anticipate the frame rate and create buffers accordingly. The only requirement is that it is set >= to what the camera is actually sending in order to avoid "dropped" frames. Dropped frames are especially bad news for direct-to-disc recordings. There were a number of camera definitions with {FRATE} in the video path--please substitute this for the actual desired rate.

• If the actual FPS received from the camera exceeds the "max rate" setting for 5 seconds, the max rate will be adjusted upward automatically in increments of 1 up to a maximum of 60. The "fps warning" condition now occurs only if the actual fps drops below 50% of its maximum rate.