Frequently stuttering and clip write error

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having an issue with my front door camera. I'm getting frequent stuttering issues and will ofter get a "Clip: write error 800000b7" when starting a new clip. The camera is a Dahua HDW-4300c. I have 3 other Dahua 3mp cameras and none of them are experiencing the same issues. The server is an Intel i5-4570s with 16gb ram. Direct to Disk and HD decoding are enabled.

Here are two videos, one with sound and one without.

I watched the direct feed from the camera and it did not stutter on the live feed.

Things I've tried:
  • Turning off audio
  • Switching from CBR to VBR
  • Changed from recording on motion to continuous
  • Multiple FPS settings
  • Changed destination disk
  • Feed in landscape and flip in BI.

I suppose my next step is to update the camera firmware but I a) don't know where to find the proper firmware and b) don't see these issues from the live feed from the camera, only BI.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@ilikebike Dont update the firmware it will not solve the problem. There are a number of things that can be causing this.
1) what is the cpu consumption on the pc when this is happening. Since you are rotating the image you are not using direct to disk so your cpu is probably high.
2) in the camera match the iframe interval to the fps
3) In blue iris, camera properties>video>configuration set the receive buffer to 20.
4) what EXACT version of blue iris are you running?
Also, check the h.264 profile being used. Dahua has several options that might affect performance.

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply fenderman.

1) CPU load is around 20-30% utilization. Spikes up to 40-50% sometimes.
2) FPS was at 25 and iFrame was at 50. I've changed them to match.
3) I changed receive buffer from 3 to 20
4) I am using 4.2.9.3 x64

The profile on the Dahua was set to H.264H, I've moved it to H.264 (the other cams are on the high profile).

I'll let this run today and see if I still get the stuttering.

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
Deleted the camera and updated to 4.3.0.3 and I'm still getting stuttering on this single camera.
Switching over to MP4 recording however does not have any issues, it only seems to be occurring on the .bvr recordings. I think I'll have to use this format for now.

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Deleted the camera and updated to 4.3.0.3 and I'm still getting stuttering on this single camera.
Switching over to MP4 recording however does not have any issues, it only seems to be occurring on the .bvr recordings. I think I'll have to use this format for now.
Do you have this camera sending JPEG snapshots to a folder by chance? Or perhaps you are recording to external HDD for this camera?

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
Spoke too soon, still happening on .mp4 files as well. :(

Do you have this camera sending JPEG snapshots to a folder by chance? Or perhaps you are recording to external HDD for this camera?
No snapshots, tried multiple internal drives. None of the other cameras have issues, even with snapshots enabled (they're disabled for now)
I read your second link earlier, there's no real information in there that applies to my case. I already have CBR and quality set to defaults.

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just setup a 4300c and notice stuttering on mine aswell. Does yours also stutter when using web browser on the cameras web page?

Side note. I also have high pitch squeal from the mic. Stutter and squeal during night with IR. See what happens in day light.

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
No, no stuttering when viewing live. Also no stuttering when using the SmartPSS/PC-NVR software to record (just tried it last night). It seems to exclusively be a BI issue with this single camera.
I don't use IR because I have enough light at night to run in color all the time.

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally fixed it. Unfortunately, I did 3 things at once so I'm not positive what was the actual fix.

• Uninstalled and reinstalled BI
  • Replaced drive pool with a new, dedicated WD Purple drive
  • Changed the camera profile in BI from "Dahua" to "Generic"

I don't think reinstalling BI fixed it (because it never affected any other cams) and I don't think getting the new drive fixed it (I tried multiple drives already). I think my problem was that for whatever reason, running with the "Dahua" profile on BI was pulling the wrong or corrupted stream out of this particular camera. Punching in the IP and having BI automatically detect it as "Generic" with the proper stream URL might be what fixed my issue. Clip write error is gone too.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nevermind, it's still happening, I give up
Try resting the camera to factory and starting over. I have these cams in the locations running blue iris probably 15-18 or so, with no issues.
Also try leaving the camera in landscape mode and see if the issue occurs.
Another thing to try is lowering the frame rate to 15fps.

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
Try resting the camera to factory and starting over. I have these cams in the locations running blue iris probably 15-18 or so, with no issues.
Also try leaving the camera in landscape mode and see if the issue occurs.
Another thing to try is lowering the frame rate to 15fps.
Thanks fenderman. I've reset the camera multiple times already and dropped framerates all the way to 10 and I just can't get this stuttering to go away. I've done landscape too and it's the same thing. I'm beginning to think that maybe it's the camera somehow. I bought it used from eBay and I'm not sure I can trust it. I'll update the thread if anything changes

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Perhaps it is the camera but you said the live stream when viewing the camera direct isn't having any problems with the stuttering. Would be strange to have a problem with BI feed and not the native feed and still call it the cameras fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman. I've reset the camera multiple times already and dropped framerates all the way to 10 and I just can't get this stuttering to go away. I've done landscape too and it's the same thing. I'm beginning to think that maybe it's the camera somehow. I bought it used from eBay and I'm not sure I can trust it. I'll update the thread if anything changes
did you try bringing the camera inside and trying a short cable? Sometimes packet loss can cause this and its not evident in the browser because it uses a different protocol.

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
Did a ton of troubleshooting this weekend. Took the camera down, messed with the cabling, tried a bunch of different things, still stuttering under certain conditions. I had another Hikvision dome that I planned on hooking up this weekend and decided to do a comparison. Put the Hikvision in "corridor mode" (rotated 90 degrees) and I got horrible tearing and stuttering issues. Changed the iframe to match the FPS and it got better but still had tearing and general video problems. Set the rotation back to normal landscape mode and everything was fine. Changed my Dahua back to normal landscape and over the past two days I've had stutter free video, even at 3mp.

I know I had tried it before in regular landscape mode and still saw the issue but now it seems to actually be resolved.
Fenderman, thanks for the help in the thread and for the other tweaks and suggestions, I have DtoD going on all cameras now and are getting smooth video with only 20% CPU usage now.

As far as the clip write errors, that only occurs when settings are changed on the camera during continuous recording mode. Nothing to worry about, playback is fine.