Fried at connector troubleshooting

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was testing a camera, went inside and it got caught in a sudden downpour. Fried it at the pigtail.

When I plug it in via POE, or without POE using a 12 DC power pack, I get activity lights on the switch, but it doesn't seem to be connecting. What's the order of troubleshooting once I take the camera apart?

Its a Dahua HDW5231RP-Z

Thanks for your thoughts.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I get activity lights on the switch
Long shot - check with a search tool or wireshark to see if there is any traffic from an unexpected IP address.

What's the order of troubleshooting once I take the camera apart?
The first physical thing to do would be to inspect the camera RJ45 socket carefully under a magnifying glass for electrolytic corrosion and short circuits.
That's the most likely cause of the problem.

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Clean it and dry it with appropriate water displacement spray. Make sure your cat cable is unplugged from poe also. Last thing you want is to keep power on it when it’s wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rakin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also spray down inside the rf45 end of the cable. Water can get inside and real havoc on the pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it’s really fried you can cut off the female Ethernet end and punch the wires down on a new keystone jack. There’s a thread that shows which colors go where.