Fried POE in ipcam

matwh

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 Dahua bullet cams 2Mp and 3Mp.. they got wet in rain with water reaching the plugs with POE 48V from NVR running and they no longer work. However when I use 12 volts adaptor on the ipcam 12v plug.. it works. So which part of the circuit got damaged? the POE module? What part is fried or damaged?

matwh

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have a similar fried dahua ipcam poe circuit? Or is it just the cable? And it's DC and low ampere.. what part of the 48 volts to 12 volts circuit component is damaged?

matwh

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm guessing the RJ45 socket end is all that is bad.
But when I use 12 volts adapter and direct LAN, it works perfectly.. what pins in the RJ45 would be the culprit.. why, even if it gets wet.. it shouldn't destroy the circuit?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But when I use 12 volts adapter and direct LAN, it works perfectly.. what pins in the RJ45 would be the culprit.. why, even if it gets wet.. it shouldn't destroy the circuit?
Why? Because not all the pins on the RJ45 are used for data. So you can have a pin not working which is used for power and yet RJ45 will still work with data and separate power from the 12V.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why? Because not all the pins on the RJ45 are used for data. So you can have a pin not working which is used for power and yet RJ45 will still work with data and separate power from the 12V.
Exactly, also the data lines are AC and the POE power is DC. Combine DC with water and the metal starts moving around and disappearing.

The connector feeds the INPUT of the POE circuit in the camera. I can't see how the POE circuit itself would be damaged.

matwh

n3wb
Reaction score
Exactly, also the data lines are AC and the POE power is DC. Combine DC with water and the metal starts moving around and disappearing.

The connector feeds the INPUT of the POE circuit in the camera. I can't see how the POE circuit itself would be damaged.
My cat5 lan pin assignment is T-568B with the following color codes (see also http://www.pssurvival.com/PS/Electronic/Reference/Cat5_Wiring_Color_Codes_2004.pdf)

pin1=white-orange
pin2=orange
pin3=white-green
pin4=blue
pin5=white-blue
pin6=green
pin7=white-brown
pin8=brown

http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hfw4221e-1130.html
So which pin POE uses in the Dahua typical NVR and Dahua ipcams (2MP and 3MP). I have 10 ip cams.. 3 no longer works using POE.. and the 3 all got soaked in rain. The Pins has no corrosion or rust. It's clean but no POE

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You fried the board...you are wasting your time...next time properly seal the connection...they are not water resistant.

matwh

n3wb
Reaction score
You fried the board...you are wasting your time...next time properly seal the connection...they are not water resistant.
But the 3 still work perfectly using 12 volts adapter and cat5 connected to the NVR. So the water selectly damage only the POE circuit?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
But the 3 still work perfectly using 12 volts adapter and cat5 connected to the NVR. So the water selectly damage only the POE circuit?
yes...happens all the time...but there is a schematic for the dahua pinout on the site...search pinout...

matwh

n3wb
Reaction score
yes...happens all the time...but there is a schematic for the dahua pinout on the site...search pinout...
Did water damage it by water getting directly into the circuit.. or water just shorting the pin in the pin socket in the cable outside?

matwh

n3wb
Reaction score
The short...
Have you experienced this personally? According to Alpinewatch "The connector feeds the INPUT of the POE circuit in the camera. I can't see how the POE circuit itself would be damaged." For him, even shorting the pin while power on won't damage the circuit itself. Anyone here actually repairing ipcams who can give final feedback?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you experienced this personally? According to Alpinewatch "The connector feeds the INPUT of the POE circuit in the camera. I can't see how the POE circuit itself would be damaged." For him, even shorting the pin while power on won't damage the circuit itself. Anyone here actually repairing ipcams who can give final feedback?
Why dont you try it and tell us...I have no doubt that its fried...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if your RJ45 socket gets wet and shorts out, your PoE circuit will go poof.. been there, done that.

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Matwh,

The POE circuit is not backfeeding through the RJ45 connector, it doesn't care if the input is shorted - power is lost and it stops working just like if you had a power failure or turned off your system.

What have you got to lose by giving it a try and replacing it? If I'm wrong, then you have your original solution of using a external POE to 12V adapter. If I'm right - you're back in business with only your labor and a RJ45 socket.

I would carefully dissect that connector and draw what the order of the colors are and then replace it with another RJ45 socket.