Front Door Camera Lens:

supie

n3wb
Reaction score
Front Door Camera Lens - SOLVED

I am considering a Dahua IPC-HDBW4300c camera 3MP Camera at my House at the Front Door.

My doorway is about 10 feet wide, I will be mounting the camera at about 8-9 feet high on the side wall, and I want to have the best picture of doorway, I do not need to see the front yard only the person(s) at the door. The distance from the camera lens is about 4 to 6 feet to the side of person’s face, standing at the door.
I can’t decide if I should buy a camera with a 2.8mm or a 3.6mm lens.

What lens would you recommend?

Thanks Supie

Last edited by a moderator:

ServiceXp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
From my limited experience I think I would go with the 2.8mm

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My understanding is the lower the lens number the wider further the view is. you stated you're mounting it high and do not care to see the front yard just the person so I would go with the 3.6mm lens if thats your only option is between the two

Just a reference

Attachments

supie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your replys.

I bought another camera for my driveway and the front of the house with a zoom lens so I tested both 2.8mm and 3.6mm. Based on my needs I selected the 2.8mm, I can see more and with greater clarity. I was worried about at 2.8mm there would be a fisheye effect but this is not a problem there is no noticeable fisheye. I am going to buy the Dahua IPC HDW 4300c camera. I will update this thread when I get it installed.

Supie

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replys.

I bought another camera for my driveway and the front of the house with a zoom lens so I tested both 2.8mm and 3.6mm. Based on my needs I selected the 2.8mm, I can see more and with greater clarity. I was worried about at 2.8mm there would be a fisheye effect but this is not a problem there is no noticeable fisheye. I am going to buy the Dahua IPC HDW 4300c camera. I will update this thread when I get it installed.

Supie
A 2.8mm lens on the same camera will not be more clear...its impossible..it will be wider though..
Note that dahua camera with a 2.8mm will be just about as wide as a hikvision with a 4mm lens running at 2mp...a hikvision with 2.8mm will be wider...

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 2.8 at my front door. The steps are 12' wide and the railing area is about 20'. It is a Hikvision 3MP mini-dome with audio. It is running in 3MP mode.

It is mounted about 9' above the porch floor.

Attachments

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the camera mounted on the wall looking out or on the ceiling looking down? I ask because I'm thinking of moving my camera so I can see the person at the front door better. Right now it's on the side.

Sorry to hijack.

I have a 2.8 at my front door. The steps are 12' wide and the railing area is about 20'. It is a Hikvision 3MP mini-dome with audio. It is running in 3MP mode.

It is mounted about 9' above the porch floor.

lviperz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks paarlberg. I think I'll give it a try.

paarlberg

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If someone is right at the door, you will only see the top of their head. I will see them coming up the stairs though Eventually, I will have a 6mm turret on the right side facing the door to get a better view of the person. My front porch is 75' wide, I have 5 cams on it now and will reposition them and add 2 more before I put my ceiling in this spring. I have 5 more covering the rest of the outside of the house, might add another couple there for better coverage.