Front Door Camera Placement (Advice Need it)

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wanted to help a family member to put a Dahua ip camera at the front door entrance.
Req: To have Audio Built in , IR , 2.8mm option and Starlight, and of course to add to BI.

I was looking at the :

1 st. Option:
Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS
(in specs bellow it say Audio Interface : Built-in Mic, but at top in description it does not, so what you think?)
IPC-HDBW4231F-AS | Dahua Technology

2 nd. Option:
Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE
(looks that this has everything that he's requesting.)
IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE

Unless there are other options.

His door is kind sink in about almost a feet in, so left and right may catch the walls, but he wants to see who's at the door and if the camera will catch more view will be fine.

Here are few pictures:

Thanks for any advice ,
P.

micoinde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If your goal is to see who is standing at the door I would NOT install the camera at the location identified by the arrow. That location above the door is too high and the angle needed to see in front of the door would be too steep, you'd get a great shot of the top of their head. Preferably, mount the camera 7-8 feet high and off one of the sides or push even farther left or right and move up to 9 feet.

Hope this helps since my remarks are based on my own trial and error with installations.

Mike in Delaware

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @patrocle - I would mount it even lower, at eye level.

I would mount at least one more camera, as I like anyone approaching the front door to go through 2 camera zones.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @micoinde and @mat200 for advice!
Yes, u both have a good point. Lower is much better , but i think may need 2 cameras and to be kind the lower profile.

He has a Hikvision cam here:

witch this is what the camera is covering :

And also he has some kind of door bell, bticino Linea 3000
Linea 3000: 2 wires video entrance panels

But he wants some better cam to have better video of it, and i told him Dahua Starlight maybe best to do the job.

Now what you think about the 2 products from the first , i think the Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE maybe to big to install, if it will be so low...i guess it remains the Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS it has a lower profile , the oly think is now does it have audio build in?

Thanks for your time and advice.
P.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

But he wants some better cam to have better video of it, and i told him Dahua Starlight maybe best to do the job.

Now what you think about the 2 products from the first , i think the Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE maybe to big to install, if it will be so low...i guess it remains the Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-AS it has a lower profile , the oly think is now does it have audio build in?

Thanks for your time and advice.
P.
Hi @patrocle

Both are nice cameras, I like the mini-dome one for right next to the door, provided it is not exposed to constant UV ( which will degrade the plastic dome sooner ).

The challenge with any camera is protecting the cable and running the cable to the appropriate location.

Is that a brick construction? Or wood frame w/stucco? If wood frame, then perhaps there is space in the wall that you can stuff the cabling connection bundle into.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @patrocle

Both are nice cameras, I like the mini-dome one for right next to the door, provided it is not exposed to constant UV ( which will degrade the plastic dome sooner ).

The challenge with any camera is protecting the cable and running the cable to the appropriate location.

Is that a brick construction? Or wood frame w/stucco? If wood frame, then perhaps there is space in the wall that you can stuff the cabling connection bundle into.
Mat,

Yes both looks good . The mini i think will do the job.
My only concern will be the constant UV over the years...but a new cam can be replaced at later time...
I will think to have him install the mini here:

and will nice to install a IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE , here:

So this way he is covered to see all action to the right and also to cover the mini-dome if someone has any ideas, and the hikvision can see the other way.

Those buildings there are brick...100%, that is Bruxelles,Belgium all solid, he should manage to install it, he is an electrician and he deals with this kind stuff everyday.
Here in The Usa is easy to install any camera , for there little harder.

Thanks!
P.

Cam_curious

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wouldn't some sort of peep hole camera mounted in the center of the door give the best view?
Next question: are there any IP peep hole cameras available?

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would advise your relative to move. Doesn't look like an area worth protecting / monitoring. Unless maybe you want to know if it's the right (vs wrong) gang member or drug dealer showing up at your door.