Front door camera placement

blanch007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys any input would be greatly appreciated. Ive decided on the dahua camera system and need recommendations on front door camera placement. Front door faces west with lots of sun exposure but I have a huge covered 2 story foyer. Want to avoid ceiling secondary to height. What do you think about above one of the side windows? Should I get the popular mini dome or the turret? The distance from side window to front door is about 10 feet or so.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
6-7ft off the porch floor, next to the front door. If you get lots of sun, I'd avoid the dome as it will likely deteriorate the actual dome.
It appears your walkway goes off to the right. If so, then mount cam on left side of door as viewed from pic's. This will allow you to catch faces as they come up to the porch.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
blanch007,

Welcome to the forum!

Camera placement is crucial. Mount the cam on a 2x4 that's in a bucket of rocks, and check out the image before you mount the cam on the house.
Camera FOV is also crucial. Pick the right size lens, probably 2.8 or 3.6mm.

Newbies and their initial posts are very similar, since initial posts ask the same basic set of questions. The questions have been asked before, and the answers are here for you to find with a little searching. And searching is far superior to posting your question, and waiting and hoping for an answer. Which usually leads to another question.

Search is your friend.

Here's some relevent threads to you front door question:
Please help confirm camera choice for front door
Front door camera placement
optimum camera placement
What size lens to get?
Need suggestion for front door

Again, Welcome!
Fastb

blanch007

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the links!! Very informative and answered most if not all questions!!
Thx again!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys any input would be greatly appreciated. Ive decided on the dahua camera system and need recommendations on front door camera placement. Front door faces west with lots of sun exposure but I have a huge covered 2 story foyer. Want to avoid ceiling secondary to height. What do you think about above one of the side windows? Should I get the popular mini dome or the turret? The distance from side window to front door is about 10 feet or so.
Hi Blanch007,

WOW love the front door entrance!

Very nice.

I would probably try to put 2 cameras in to cover that space - as I really hate the idea of not being able to catch someone in the corner by the front door.

Suggest the following - idea is to minimize blind spots by the front door.
I would place a dahua mini-dome wedge w/a 2.8mm lens by the front door
A turret - maybe a starlight varifocal if you have low light here - on the side - perhaps a fixed turret with 3.6mm lens?

upload_2017-9-4_18-8-37.png