Frustrated as all get out!

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so I have recently purchased a bunch of Hikvision 3mp 1080p 2.8mm turret cameras, and have them all set up on my network, working great... built a brand new PC-NVR machine, got it chock full of hard drive space and ram, blah blah blah. Been trying different PCNVR softwares, Hikvisions iVMS4200, Blue Iris, XProtect Go, and all 3 softwares have the same problem, constantly recording on the tiniest bit of motion.

Here is where it gets interesting, in the meantime, I purchased a bunch more cameras and a 8 Port Hikvision PoE NVR from Nelly's Security (great batch of people over there) and using my exact cameras, not making any config changes at all, the Hikvision NVR box rarely records on anything but true motion, and staying idle most of the time unless it actually is recording REAL motion.

So my question is what the heck am I doing wrong on the PCNVR side of life (at the moment I'm using Xprotect Go, as I really hated the HikVision iVMS4200 and my eval of blue iris timed out. Tips, tricks? advice?

-So frustrated I want to wrap this ethernet cable around my neck...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Were the motion detection settings the same on the NVR and the cameras when used with pcNVR? I believe the NVR settings will override the cameras...
So you could have different sensitivities...Regular pixel based motion detection is going to generate false alarms unless you set the thresholds high...hikvision does have line cross detection and intrusion detection to minimize this...
Are you certain you were not missing any motion using the NVR? Its quite possible because its hard to determine what is missing unless you are recording to another unit with lower thresholds.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman I was watching the NVR vs the PCNVR with two identically configured cameras, mounted on the exact same board, on focused on the exact same view, at the exact same time. (so much exacts!)

I think the NVR recorded maybe twice or three times (when cars drove by) however the PCNVR recorded about 45 times in the span of the same hour, when nothing was driving by/walking by etc. I have no idea how to prevent this... but man is it frustrating, makes me wanna kick myself for building the PCNVR and shoulda just bought myself a Hikvision NVR and been done with it. Woulda saved myself a bunch of money too... *ugh*

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman I was watching the NVR vs the PCNVR with two identically configured cameras, mounted on the exact same board, on focused on the exact same view, at the exact same time. (so much exacts!)

I think the NVR recorded maybe twice or three times (when cars drove by) however the PCNVR recorded about 45 times in the span of the same hour, when nothing was driving by/walking by etc. I have no idea how to prevent this... but man is it frustrating, makes me wanna kick myself for building the PCNVR and shoulda just bought myself a Hikvision NVR and been done with it. Woulda saved myself a bunch of money too... *ugh*
Something is not right...its impossible, the NVR and pcnvr both get recording instructions from the camera. There is no way the NVR has any magical capability. Did you configure the motion detection in the NVR?
PCNVR's are much more flexible than standalone NVR's, but if it works the way you want it, just use the NVR.
Blue iris works differently and does server side motion detection..its just a matter of properly setting up the motion detection settings.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The regular NVR is going to my moms house (shes old and not tech saavy) I have the HikVision NVR sensativity set at 3 out of 5 bars. I get that the NVRs get the instructions from the cameras, I'm just wondering if perhaps maybe having motion detection turned on the camera, as well as on the PCNVR software could potentially be causing? I've tried everything I know what to try. So I'm open to any suggestions, ideas, etc..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The regular NVR is going to my moms house (shes old and not tech saavy) I have the HikVision NVR sensativity set at 3 out of 5 bars. I get that the NVRs get the instructions from the cameras, I'm just wondering if perhaps maybe having motion detection turned on the camera, as well as on the PCNVR software could potentially be causing? I've tried everything I know what to try. So I'm open to any suggestions, ideas, etc..
Wish i could help, i dont use pcnvr..the pc/nvr software gets the motion signal from the camera as well..it does not do its own motion detection..
hopefully someone with pcnvr experience can chime in..

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hm, I'm not positive in your specific case as I'm not a Milestone expert, but in looking at the xProtect Go documentation I see:

Built-in camera independent motion detection; choice of fully adjustable sensitivity or automatic sensitivity adjustment, zone exclusions, recording activation with frame rate speed up, and alert activation through email.

That sounds like it is not using the camera motion detection and works like Blue Iris. I have used a ton of cameras, and by far the built in motion detection in the Hikvision cameras is the best I have run into at cutting out falses. If you find software that truly only uses the cameras built in detection you will be fine but maybe the last couple have not been using the cameras. I use Exacq which only uses the cameras built in detection and it works great, I have my cameras set to the lowest sensitivity and they are fine. I have several hundred Hiks working with Exacq systems and I only record on motion also.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hm, I'm not positive in your specific case as I'm not a Milestone expert, but in looking at the xProtect Go documentation I see:

Built-in camera independent motion detection; choice of fully adjustable sensitivity or automatic sensitivity adjustment, zone exclusions, recording activation with frame rate speed up, and alert activation through email.

That sounds like it is not using the camera motion detection and works like Blue Iris. I have used a ton of cameras, and by far the built in motion detection in the Hikvision cameras is the best I have run into at cutting out falses. If you find software that truly only uses the cameras built in detection you will be fine but maybe the last couple have not been using the cameras. I use Exacq which only uses the cameras built in detection and it works great, I have my cameras set to the lowest sensitivity and they are fine. I have several hundred Hiks working with Exacq systems and I only record on motion also.
Milestone allows for both in camera and server side motion detection...(blue iris can also do camera side motion on certain cams, axis, mobotix, and any hikvision camera that has a physical alarm out...-IS models..)

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any idea where in the milestone software I can turn off its internal motion detection and use just the cameras?