Frustrated newbie wants to ditch Hikvision cam

dancurry

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I camera. Apparently it is from China and unsupported as I found out today from Hikvision. I got it via Amazon.

I have spent several hours trying to get it to work with my Synology NAS. I located camera IP via a LAN device sniffer but installing it in browser or Synology don't work.

I'm moderately sophisticated with computer but never have set up IP camera.

I'm ready to sell this thing to someone who knows how to configure it.

Does anyone have a suggestion of an easier camera to set-up? I am just using it for a front hallway ceiling.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I suppose you could get one of those "plug and play" cameras that has a QR code you can scan to connect to it (with proprietary software!). Otherwise Hikvision is about as easy as they get.

Can you load the camera's interface in a browser? The user and pass should be admin / 12345

If you can get in, install the plugin as required and you should see a live view, most likely stretched because the Hikvision engineers don't subscribe to the school of thought that says to leave the aspect ratio alone.

Once you have confirmed the camera works by seeing the live view, go to the Configuration tab at the top, then Advanced Configuration at the left, and under that choose Security. Then go to RTSP Authentication and disable it if it is not already and Save.

Now for a simple sanity check. Open up VLC media player, open network stream, and load rtsp://192.168.0.69/ with your actual camera's IP address of course.

That should load the main stream. This should also load the main stream: rtsp://192.168.0.69/Streaming/channels/1

This would load the sub stream: rtsp://192.168.0.69/Streaming/channels/2

You could insert the port number (useful if it is different from the default of 554) if you desired, like this: rtsp://192.168.0.69:554/Streaming/channels/1

Anyway once you can load the video stream in VLC, you should be able to load it in any other software that supports rtsp and h264, like your NAS.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you actually been able to log into the camera view a web browser?

dancurry

n3wb
Reaction score
No, I can't get browser to load camera IP address. I assume I have the right IP address because I used a LAN device detector. I matched it to the camera's MAC address.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I can't get browser to load camera IP address. I assume I have the right IP address because I used a LAN device detector. I matched it to the camera's MAC address.
By default the cams come with an ipaddress that you cannot access via your network unless you change it...192.0.0.64. What is the ip address of your camera? what is the ip address of your router. Use the SADP tool on the hikvision site to change the address to one that is in your routers subnet.

dancurry

n3wb
Reaction score
I used HIKvision software and initially located the camera and thought I had changed the IP address. But once I did so, I can no longer locate it with the software or Synology software. I only was able to locate an IP address with the LAN device sniffer, but obviously that address must be wrong. I don't know how to reverse the process and start again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
According to the LAN sniffer: 169.254.138.247
That is certainly not it...I dont think there is a reset button on the 2132...there only way i know of is to reflash the firmware via tftp..there are a few threads on this... (or since you bought it on amazon...just send it back)...

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm just surprised my network can't see the camera.
You shouldn't be - it would be VERY BAD if any IP could connect to your internal network and be seen. Once you properly set the IP of the camera everything will pop in place. :cool:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just surprised my network can't see the camera.
hook the camera up directly to the pc and see if sadp can see it..bypass the router..if you are using a poe switch plug only the camera and pc into the switch...

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That didn't work.
If you still have the camera's IP at 169.254.138.247 then it wont (technically not true - you could have windows assign it an IP - but that is something I wouldn't want to step someone thru). If your router supports DHCP turn it on and the router will provide the IP for the device, then you can set the camera to a FIXED IP with DHCP off. :cool:

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a common problem to expect support from stuff you buy on eBay, especially camera brands that have no factory support. You may want consider brands with factory support like Axis, Bosch, ACTi or buy from a reputable dealer than can help you.

But to work with IP cameras you need at least rudimentary knowledge of networking, without that you are dead in the water. You have to determine your home network subnet. In Windows you get by entering ipconfig in a command window like this

The first 3 numbers, 192.168.1 is your subnet. Make note of the subnet mask and default gateway.

Stay in this command window a little longer. Pick a number nowhere near your PC's IP address last number but not higher than 254, lets say 165. Issue the command ping with that number, like ping 192.168.1.165. If it is says host unreachable, that's great, remember that number.

Then go into SADP and find the camera, click on the line, and type in that IP address in the box on the upper right, then the subnet mask, then the IPV4 Gateway is your default gateway from above, enter the password and click Save, It should say something like modification successful. While in SADP, double-click on the IP address and should open your default browser with the login/password screen. Enter admin for the username and 12345 for the password. It should prompt you to install a plugin, go ahead and do that. You may have to exit your browser while it's installing, then start it up again and enter the IP address you assigned the camera.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you still have the camera's IP at 169.254.138.247 then it wont (technically not true - you could have windows assign it an IP - but that is something I wouldn't want to step someone thru). If your router supports DHCP turn it on and the router will provide the IP for the device, then you can set the camera to a FIXED IP with DHCP off. :cool:
If the camera is functioning properly, then sadp will detect the camera using the method described...

dancurry

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a hard-wired home network with Apple routers and a Synology NAS. It is set to DHCP. The 169.254.138.247 is the DCHP assignment for the camera.

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a hard-wired home network with Apple routers and a Synology NAS. It is set to DHCP. The 169.254.138.247 is the DCHP assignment for the camera.
Check this out http://who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/169.254.138.247 - notice that the IP is for a device without a DHCP assigned address. Your DHCP server (if you have it on in the router) is NOT assigning it an address, and there could be several reasons for that. My guess is your in this boat because you decided to use DHCP for the camera when you first used sadp (which you should not do). You need to get it set to a fixed address, like has been mentioned by several peeps here OR get your routers DHCP server properly configured (or turned on).

Once you have the IP properly set for the camera everything will pop right in. If you have a friend who knows a bit more about networking than you ask them to take a look at your setup - this is basic networking *stuff* - but it can be confusing when first exposed to it. :cool:

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How did you set the camera to DHCP? SADP does not have that as an option. Since you mention Apple, if you are using a Mac, go into Terminal and enter ifconfig (instead of ipconfig) and you'll get similar output.

It's OK if your PC is DHCP and even if Synology is DHCP, the camera should not be DHCP. SADP only runs on Windows. If you don't have Windows, you can get to the camera by changing to a static IP address on your Mac to 192.0.0.128, then use Safari to connect to the camera at 192.0.0.64, login, click Network and enter the address in your subnet, save it and it will reboot, then go back to DHCP on your Mac.

BTW, valid local area network address have to start with 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x, Using 169.254.138.247 for your local IP address will cause you problems.