Frustrating hard drive issues

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have run all my cables up the walls and through my roof, installed my cameras, bought Blue Iris (haven’t downloaded it yet), found an i7 workstation and put 16 GB RAM in it, but since it was a mini tower it only had space for a single drive. I cloned the original 500GB drive and installed an 8TB WD red drive. The problem I have is that windows won’t recognize more than 2TB. I tried converting the drive from MBR to GPT using the command line tool MBR2GPT but get a “disk layout validation failed for disk 0” message (I am using Windows 10 pro). There is the 464.77GB c: drive (boot, page file, crash dump and primary), a 500MB Disk 0 partition 3 (recovery partition) and a 517 MB system reserved (system, active, primary partition). What remains is 1582.4GB of free space that I am able to partition into a d: drive, but the problem is the 5404.04GB of unallocated space. I think the reason it won’t validate the drive so that it can convert to GPT thus being able to recognize and utilize the full 8 TB it is due to the fact that only works for single partition drives. My drive wasn’t set up as a single partition. Anyone have a workaround for this problem? I can’t imagine that it would be a good idea to operate Blue Iris off of the 500GB HD and record onto an external USB drive due to drive overheating

***update: solved by buying software to do the job..... EaseUS Partition Master did the trick. Found a coupon code online that dropped the price down to $35.97

Last edited:

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
key word is "cloned"
why don't you do a fresh / clean install.

like everyone says here, for c drive use a SSD and install windows 10 on it and D drive is whatever 8TB drive you have.

I have been running BI with 4 x external USB3 drives (2 x 10TB and 2 x 8TB) . no issues whatsoever.

C drive is alwasy the SSD, you can try squeeze one in, by removing the CD drive or if the pc has a m2 slot use that.

Last edited:

OgRoar

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been known to leave an SSD "hanging" in my cases when out of room. It has 0 moving parts. It doesn't need to be anchored and rubber isolated like a mechanical drive.

Just hook it up and let it hang.

Reaction score
I've been known to leave an SSD "hanging" in my cases when out of room. It has 0 moving parts. It doesn't need to be anchored and rubber isolated like a mechanical drive.

Just hook it up and let it hang.
Or use double-sided foam sticky tape to attach it somewhere.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I highly recommend a fresh install of Win 10 from a USB stick made here ==>> Windows Media Creation Tool

Put Win 10, BI program and BI's "db" folder on the SSD and BI video clips on a surveillance-rated HDD such as a WD Purple.

Many SFF PC's and even some mini-towers are cramped and provide little or no options for a second or possibly a third drive of any form factor but many adapters exist to help out; a couple are listed below.

I've never used one but it looks like a great idea for $9 if it fits where the 5.25" slimline DVD fits. Besides, you probably won't need an optical drive; we download most programs and apps these days, right?

Highfine Universal 9.5mm SATA to SATA 2nd SSD HDD Hard Drive Caddy Adapter Tray Enclosures for DELL HP Lenovo ThinkPad ACER Gateway ASUS Sony Samsung MSI Laptop

DVD-to-SSD.jpg

I've found many 2.5" SSD to 3.5" bay adapters but this one below also adapts 2.5" or 3.5" to fit in a 5.25" bay such as a DVD optical drive bay:
axGear 2.5/3.5 to 5.25 Drive Bay Computer Case Adapter HDD Mounting Bracket SSD

2-5in_to_5-25_adapter.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
***update: solved by buying software to do the job..... EaseUS Partition Master did the trick. Found a coupon code online that dropped the price down to $35.97
"Day late and a dollar short."

For future reference, Clonezilla is a great open source (free) option for disk cloning & imaging activities. For some of my 'regular' machines, I will snap an image of the drive at different stages of the build. I.E., Right after OS is installed, after all system specific drivers are loaded/configured, after applications are installed/updated/configured. In the unfortunate event I have drive issues, or catch sumthin' nasty... wipe/replace the drive and push the image to the drive. Image restore is MUCH less time than going through the process again.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, depending on CPU and RAM, some of my Win 10 fresh installs onto a Samsung 860 EVO SSD from the USB drive made with the above reference MS Media Creation tool takes less than 15 minutes start to finish!

For any youngsters that may be reading this, the above process is painless when compared to Win 7, Vista, XP, etc. Ah yes, I remember how difficult and time consuming Win 98, 95 and 3.1/3.3 was as well. But the winner of being a PITA to install, IMO, was DOS 5.0 (I believe) with its SIX each 5-1/4" S-L-O-W reading mini-floppy disks. :facepalm:

Lastly and not related to this thread but maybe for someone's need to know: regarding activation of Win 10 when doing a fresh install on a previously Win 7 machine, I've done 3 more in the last 2 months (1 yesterday on 4/21/21)) and activated with no problem using the Win 7 product key code on the sticker.

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Glad you got it done, but why not just reinstall Windows?
It was a 2nd hand machine with no recovery disk or manuals so I kept the original drive in case anything goes south to stick it back in to get me up and running again

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
So you are now running an 8TB GPT disk partitioned 4 ways? with the OS and the video files going to the same drive? If you get unresponsive or sluggish menu openings or big lag....its your HD setup. Depending on how many cams your setting up, you may get away with it for starters... but you'll eventually see what the guys are talking about performance wise.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not need to save the original drive.
A Good BI install start with Windows 10 clean install "Microsoft media creation tool"
Save the BI key so you can reinstall if you kill the system.

The original disk contains useless junk software that impact system performance. All my windows machines start with a clean install.

RSYC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So you are now running an 8TB GPT disk partitioned 4 ways? with the OS and the video files going to the same drive? If you get unresponsive or sluggish menu openings or big lag....its your HD setup. Depending on how many cams your setting up, you may get away with it for starters... but you'll eventually see what the guys are talking about performance wise.
When I cloned the drive using a HD disk duplicator by Sabrent, it left me with a 500GB c: drive and lots of unallocated space. Not being very tech savvy, I followed some tutorials which allowed me to make a d: partition that together with c: drive totaled 2TB. After using software to convert my file system I was able to utilize the full 8TB so I allocated 4TB d: for BI video files and 3TB e: for chia farming since BI server is on 24/7, my CPU was averaging 8% load and I had ample storage since stored video is set to be over written when d: is full