FTP B.I. to Weather underground

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to this forum. I have 4 LAN connected cameras and I was using Ispy for over a year. But the VLC play back stuttered and one camera would only still frame on MP4 play back. I switched to Blue Iris a couple weeks ago and the .bvr and .mp4 are flawless so I'm liking this software a lot.

However I'm hoping someone can guide me with setting up FTP with B.I.
I maintain a personal weather station that uploads Data to Weather Services. One of which is "wunderground.com". I have Ispy configured to send an image once a minute to be posted on my weather station at wunderground from one only of my cameras. I would like to do the same with B.I so I can purge the Ispy software from my system.

I set the wunderground FTP server connection up successfully but I need help configuring it to pull the image off the one camera and do it once a minute.

I searched on this forum for old posts and read the B.I. Help Section but with no avail so I'm hoping you will help me.

Reaction score
Well Thank you fenderman This is what I needed.

I've successfully uploaded using Blue Iris just now. So Long Ispy.

Very thankful again for sharing your knowledge with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geewiz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Greetings all:

I'm trying to get Blue Iris to upload via FTP to the Weather Underground webcam and am rather lost. Hoping someone here who has set this up successfully on their own system can provide some guidance.

I've attached screenshots of the BI FTP screens.

Thanks!

Capture-1.jpgCapture-2.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Geewiz I'll try to help. I had a hard time making it work too but the good people here helped me. What is your problem if you know? You must input data in both Blue Iris and on weather ground ground too. As I recall that was where I had a problem not knowing both had to be setup.

Geewiz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the response!

I'm all set up on WU, having received a Camera ID from them and have set up the WU Camera settings.
So now, WU shows the "Your Current Cameras" status as...

Capture-3.jpg

Notice the "NO" under Active [Status].

Anyway, I believe I have WU set up properly and status is listed as not active because no photo has been uploaded via FTP?

That's where my set up confusion with BI begins. As previously posted, here are the FTP setup screens that I have in BI...

Capture-1.jpgCapture-2.jpg

When I press the test button I get the following response...

Connecting to webcam.wunderground.com
FTP: 221-Goodbye. You uploaded 0 and downloaded 0 kbytes.
221 Logout.

I am presuming that the test connections was successful...is that a correct assumption?

At this point I'm at a loss to understand why the image files aren't being uploaded to WU, and am guessing that I'm missing a setting within BI.

Again...thanks!

Reaction score
No the test failed, it will show bytes sent and received and say successful. The name of the ftp has to be [ webcam.wunderground.com ] I think if you change to that it will work. Try it and run the st and let me know.

Reaction score
The 2nd screen shot looks right but in the 1st one it should have webcam.wunderground.com typed as the ftp server to post to. If you click the pull down menu there it should list that just click on it and it will type it in the box for you.

Geewiz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I do have "webcam.wunderground.com" in the server address, but also changet the name/description to the same, with no apparent change in result...

Capture-4.jpg

I'll sleep on this tonight and maybe see it with a fresh mind tomorrow. I appreciate your help!

Reaction score
Sorry for not being clear. If you click on the camera properties of the cam you want uploading the ftp server should be set to webcam.wunderground.com yours is set to your cam description { geewiz0000cam1} or something close. Hitting the bottom arrow in that post to server input box should bring up a list of active ftp servers chick on the wbcam.wunderground.com one or just type it in.

Reaction score
Maybe this will help. The cam that is uploading is named VanWeatherCAM1. Some people have to un-check the Passive Transfer Mode to get it to upload you may want to try that.

active cam settings.jpgBI ftp server setting.jpgweather under ground.jpg

Geewiz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, perhaps I was just impatient! Everything seems to be working. Lesson learned, WU takes a day or so to get things propagated on their systems.

Thanks to all of you who attempted to help me out!

Reaction score
Geewiz glad your up and running. You're right WU takes a day to review your cam feed to make sure it's not against it's policy. I forgot about that.