Funky problem upgrading firmware on DS-2CD5526G0-IZHS

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Long-time lurker posting for the first time ... hoping someone will have a suggestion about a funky problem upgrading the firmware on a DS-2CD5526G0-IZHS. I've chatted with the Hikvision Tech Support folks, but their solution is to send it back for repair and I'd rather not have the downtime/expense.

First, the serial number (DS-2CD5526G0-IZHS20180302AAWRC########) has a "WR" on it ... so per "How to read Hikvision serial numbers", it's a World/Multi-Language model. I got this back in August/2018 directly from USA Hikvision. I think it was one of the first models off the line (note the 20180302 and the box says 02/2018) so that might be the issue. It came installed with firmware 5.5.4 and I had no problems upgrading (using the web interface) to 5.5.60 and then 5.5.81 and then 5.5.91.

HOWEVER, if I try to install firmware 5.6.0 or 5.6.10 (recently downloaded from the us.hikvision.com site), the progress bar starts moving across, but then pauses at 34% ... and then it says "Upgrading Failed" ... and then the camera ends up rebooting, but after about 5 minutes (longer than normal, so restoring the old firmware?), it comes back working fine with the pre-existing 5.5.91 firmware along with any customizations. I did try DEFAULTING the camera and had the same problem trying to upgrade.

BTW, www.hikvision.com/en website has 5.6.12 firmware for this camera. Wondering if the US Hikvision website just hasn't been updated with the most recent version (?)

To be clear, the camera is working fine ... I'd just like to be able to upgrade the firmware ... which worked fine up to 5.5.91 ... but then stopped working at 5.6.x.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As you said, the camera is working fine...so if the cameras are installed and operating and working as you need them to, a general rule of thumb here is "don't fix what ain't broke".

Many times a firmware update will add something that you were not using or didn't need and it unfortunately then breaks something you were using. I recall someone on here with a Z12 had nothing but issues when they updated the software - multi reboots, etc. And of course a certain PTZ that lost autotracking if someone updated the firmware...or you brick the camera.

And as you said, maybe the website hasn't updated to the most recent version yet.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I appreciate the reply @wittaj and yea, I hear 'ya on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ... but there are a couple of things in the 5.6.0 that I'd like to have ... so I was hoping maybe someone else stumbled across this problem.

BTW, I'm kinda surprised there aren't more threads about the 2CD5526G0 since it still seems to be one of the most powerful low-light cameras that Hikvision sells with a vari-focal lens ... the new ColorVu G2's with F/1.0 lens are fixed focal length.

rearanger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You could try to get root/shell and see what its doing?
Or try reflashing with 5.5.9. (I am taking a stab at a corrupt partition). Then upgrade.

It may also upgrade via tfftp or batch upgrade tool.

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So an update on this thread from a while ago. Recall that the problem is I have a fairly early model Hikvision DS-2CD5526G0-IZHS that routinely "took" firmware upgrades to 5.5.91 ... but then would not take 5.6.0 ... or 5.6.10 ... or 5.6.12.

Just for grins, I tried downloading them again from www.hikvision.com and us.hikvision.com ... same problem "Upgrading Failed" and then 5+ minutes of downtime that seems like forever, especially because the camera is not pingable ... but the it eventually comes back up with the 5.5.91 firmware.

But I looked at the European Portal ... and in the 5.6.0 directory not only is there is "regular" 5.6.0_190428, but there is a "V5.6.0_Build190716(Non-B Verision, Fix upgrade failure) " ... HEY, that sounds pretty interesting! ;-)

So I try that ... and the upgrade runs to a 100% (instead of stopping in the 30's) ... and after a few minutes of downtime, I'm running 5.6.0 build 190716 - WOOT! ;-)

That's the good news. The bad news is I couldn't subsequently apply any of the 5.6.10 or 5.6.12 upgrades - same problem as before.

Since the H3 platform does not seem susceptible to the recent security vulnerability, I'm not overly concerned about being a little behind in firmware, but it does kind of bug me that the camera won't "take" it. That plus the fact that there was apparently a "Non-B version" (what does that mean?) put out to "Fix upgrade failure" implies there is something "special" about my specific early model and Hikvision knows there was an issue with those.

Camera is working well and continues to do a fine job of Watching Grass Grow ... ;-)