Gamers Nexus Review Dell System for Quality and Performance

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Please don't flame me for this. A lot of you use Dell and if they float your boat then great.

This isn't a don't use Dell post. Just a post of anothers informational video on their alleged shortcomings vs a home built pc or some other pre-builds.

This review by the very respected Gamers Nexus is of @ $1K gaming pc, which just reinforces in mind the similar compromises (my opinion) I've seen in their work computer lines.

So if you want to use Dell, then do. But this highlights some of the issues I spotted in their cheaper pc's which put me off purchasing.

In this follow up video, the system is benchmarked to compare it to others and the alleged bloatware examined as well:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Please don't flame me for this. A lot of you use Dell and if they float your boat then great.

This isn't a don't use Dell post. Just a post of anothers informational video on their alleged shortcomings vs a home built pc or some other pre-builds.

This review by the very respected Gamers Nexus is of @ $1K gaming pc, which just reinforces in mind the similar compromises (my opinion) I've seen in their work computer lines.

So if you want to use Dell, then do. But this highlights some of the issues I spotted in their cheaper pc's which put me off purchasing.

In this follow up video, the system is benchmarked to compare it to others and the alleged bloatware examined as well:

Bloatware is irrelevant as you always perform a clean install. While most of my blue iris PCs are hp, I have several dells running bi. The oldest unit is a sandy bridge that had been running at about 50 percent load since 2013. Gamers useless option notwithstanding.
Reliability is a non issue in modern PCs.
If you want to pay double to build it yourself go ahead.

Reaction score
While I agree that pre-built PC's have their shortcomings, folks coming here to IPCT looking for computer recommendations are advised to go that route due to the low cost and simple setup for IP camera purposes. When I first started with Blue Iris and Dahua IP webcameras, the $$$ amount looked HUGE as compared to Costco or Amazon cheap camera NVR packages (as I said to myself at the time: $150 per camera? crazy! Especially when I can get IP cameras from Costco for $40!). To entice people to see the light, gotta keep the $$$ affordable for those first starting out. A Dell or HP serve their purpose rather well in that regard. I ran a Dell optiplex i7 4th gen for a year with 20 cameras that was purchased for a measly $200 via eBay, and this was before the changing of main stream to sub stream for UI3 & GUI. I could of kept that same system even today. But, in my situation, there was a need to save on real estate and the not-a-need-but-a-want for a pure dedicated DIY Blue Iris machine.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to add on don’t overbuild, you don’t need a fancy gpu lol
I agree you don't need any gpu with intel QuikSync and integrated graphics, lol. Was just that particular purchased pc for review, being a gaming pc had one included.

I agree bloatware can be removed. The issue is the lower quality and proprietory parts found in many of these pc's. A self built pc whilst expensive, gets you good quality parts (if you choose them) and the opportunity to repair should anything go wrong by simply buying a replacement part. With an OEM, it's not always that simple when all the parts are proprietory as your only option assuming they won't sell you the part is to return it to Service for repair, which I would imagine is not going to be cheap, or start again with another pc.

Anyway, each to their own. It wasn't my intention to offend anyone, just show what GN found in their tear down of this particular OEM's pc.

While I agree that pre-built PC's have their shortcomings, folks coming here to IPCT looking for computer recommendations are advised to go that route due to the low cost and simple setup for IP camera purposes. When I first started with Blue Iris and Dahua IP webcameras, the $$$ amount looked HUGE as compared to Costco or Amazon cheap camera NVR packages (as I said to myself at the time: $150 per camera? crazy! Especially when I can get IP cameras from Costco for $40!). To entice people to see the light, gotta keep the $$$ affordable for those first starting out. A Dell or HP serve their purpose rather well in that regard. I ran a Dell optiplex i7 4th gen for a year with 20 cameras that was purchased for a measly $200 via eBay, and this was before the changing of main stream to sub stream for UI3 & GUI. I could of kept that same system even today. But, in my situation, there was a need to save on real estate and the not-a-need-but-a-want for a pure dedicated DIY Blue Iris machine.
It will be interesting to see what OEM recommendations GN make eventually as they reckon to have found some OEM's that better match the self built market.

As for ebay, seems great in the US. In the UK, most refurbs are almost as expensive as building the same spec machine minus Windows. My own experience of big comanies in the UK as well, is the only time they change pc's is when they're so worn out they can't repair them any longer. The US may be different, but in the UK I wouldn't trust an ex office pc unless it was a very recent model sold as the result of the company going bankrupt. Every company I've worked for has kept pc's until they were so slow they were no longer functional ie usually 10 years +.