Garage Door Automation

Go3Team

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice! Its straight forward nature is what attracted me to it. I plan on doing a write up of my installation but I opted to not use any cloud integration control it all over my VPN using Tasker on my mobile.

While I would like to take advantage of that feature, without some type of check to ensure nothing was underneath the door before closing I wouldn't feel comfortable using it. However your situation my be different and it is nifty!
Ours has it's own built in sensors that won't allow it to close if there's something in the way. If the sensors somehow don't catch something in the way, the moment the door feels resistance, it goes back up.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Our opener has IR transmitter on one side, receiver on the other. Won't close if anything blocks the path. I thought this was on all openers for a long time. I just had to replace mine because the old one was acting up.

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am using open garage (x2). Very happy with it. You can use the supported app (blynk) to open and close the garage remotely. Also it can alert you if open for X minutes. I don't use that feature. It has a great API that you can do your own scripting.
I have written my own powershell script to monitor the garages. If day = Monday through to Saturday, & garage is open for more than 10 minutes, close garage door and send me an e-mail and IFTTT alert. (if re-opened within 2 minutes, then don't auto close again). If sunday (gardening day), then just send e-mails and IFFT alerts, from 10 minutes, repeating every 60 minutes.

Makes me very lazy. I probably only close garage manually now 50% of the time.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I already had a Domoticz system running, and wanted to be able to monitor and close my two doors. Since I have two doors, I ruled out any commercial options, too much money for me.
I ended up using a ESP board (Wemos mini D1) connected to a couple of relays. The relays are wired in parallel across the same wires as the open/close button. To open/close, I close the relay for about 1/2 a second, to short the wires.
I also have two magnetic reed switches, to detect if the doors are closed. Same switches used in home alarm systems, so readily available.
The ESP is running ESP Easy, which makes it easy to setup and communicate with Domoticz.
Domoticz is running a script, which sends me a text if either door has been open for more than 10 mins. I could auto close, but I don't. I have a virtual switch setup in Domoticz that lets me close the doors. I also have a cam that I can use to check the doors if I get this message, and am not at home.
I used dzvents for the script. This is a kind of add on to lua, but it makes it easier to address the switches and stuff.