Garden Pictures

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
IMG_4633.jpg
Tomatos, zucchini, cucumbers, strawberries. I have seeds for bell peppers and sugar daddy peas that I have yet to plant.

We downsized significantly this year. We used to have a similar sized area for pumpkins and watermelon but every year they were overcome by a powdery mildew as I never had the determination to spray them.

The former pumpkin patch is now a crop of grass which I am much more diligent on taking care of!
image-2020-06-20-19:06:44-205.jpg

We have a single raspberry bush that has multiplied into like 5 now as well. That I do spray for insects since I got a mouth full of little worms last year when I took a bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes it looks like it's time to increase it. They look really good. Are those tomatoes in the third picture?
Yea tomatoes.. shit load but all still green and I really don't even really like tomatoes

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fall garden starts and tests. The first tomatoes we planted are done, but the suckers we pruned off and planted are starting to produce. The spring crop of green beans, black eyed peas, sugar snap peas and pinto beans are all done. So it was time to start some stuff for fall and I'm still experimenting. These pots are black eyed peas, cherokee greasy green beans, blue lake bush beans, banana peppers and sorghum. I potted them with a mix of potting soil and the manure I've been collecting so I could make sure there is no Grazon in the manure (Grazon is an awesome herbicide that doesn't harm horses and cattle, but also does not break down in their digestive tracts or in compost). I also potted some rattlesnake pole beans, turnips, ground cherries, purple tomatillo, green tomatillo, tomato, watermelon, and acorn squash. Direct sowed some carrots and banana peppers. And I have some sweet potato slips that are ready to plant.

Attachments

Reaction score
Fall garden starts and tests. The first tomatoes we planted are done, but the suckers we pruned off and planted are starting to produce. The spring crop of green beans, black eyed peas, sugar snap peas and pinto beans are all done. So it was time to start some stuff for fall and I'm still experimenting. These pots are black eyed peas, cherokee greasy green beans, blue lake bush beans, banana peppers and sorghum. I potted them with a mix of potting soil and the manure I've been collecting so I could make sure there is no Grazon in the manure (Grazon is an awesome herbicide that doesn't harm horses and cattle, but also does not break down in their digestive tracts or in compost). I also potted some rattlesnake pole beans, turnips, ground cherries, purple tomatillo, green tomatillo, tomato, watermelon, and acorn squash. Direct sowed some carrots and banana peppers. And I have some sweet potato slips that are ready to plant.
How long will it take for these to produce beans for picking and eating?

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you eat the green tomatoes or do you have to wait for them to turn orange?
I wait til they turn red. Tomato growing in the northeast is a crap shoot, I have been doing it for almost 50 Years if you want to include my youth learning from my dad. We always had tomatoes in mid to late summer on the table, so many environmental issues can take em out early if you are not paying attention. I remember my dad using sevin dust on them to control the flea beetles, now I use ground up Diatomaceous earth and Neem oil to prevent blight. It seems we NEVER had blight back then, we also never had ticks either, I remember our outdoor cats would hunt through the tall grass all day and night and we NEVER saw a tick, send them out now and its a war zone.

Last edited:

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How long will it take for these to produce beans for picking and eating?
Most of them will take around 8 weeks. The pole beans should be better producers than the bush varieties, but if we get an early winter that won't happen.

rmalbers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what is growing here?
Well, misc type of lettuce, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes for vegi's. I have a couple of other areas with more tomatoes and cucumbers. In the background is the flowers.