Gas prices

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact price for diesel, but it was over $5.00/gallon here today. Glad I bought my off road diesel for my farm equipment 3 months ago. Paid $less than $2.25 a gallon for off road. I store it in 55 gallon barrels and pump it out when I need it.
I wish my wife still had her diesel car, and my truck had a diesel. Because I’d be pulling fuel out of our bulk tank.

I checked into buying a bulk tank for gasoline but my fuel guy says there isn’t any tax exempt gasoline

TRLcam

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This photo is from March 4th when I filled up in Fort Pierre. Note the price between ethanol and no-ethanol, then the differential to 91 octane (also no-ethanol)

View attachment 121831

South Dakota ag industry and farming operations have made many millions (billions?) off the ethanol scam, and they don't like criticism of it. The truth--- it takes more energy to Make a gallon of ethanol than is Contained IN a gallon of ethanol. And gee whiz-- that energy used in the production process-- much of it is petroleum based. There is also the touchy ethical dilemma of using corn for fuel while starvation is still a thing in the world.
Not the mention the amount of water it takes to make a gallon of ethanol. Three gallons for one gallon of ethanol. It seems to me to be a no win process. And I live in one of the top three corn producing states.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I wish my wife still had her diesel car, and my truck had a diesel.
There is a downside. One of our kid's Audi diesel fuel pumps recently grenaded,which I've learned is not a rare occurrence. Dealer quote to fix is $12k. He's going to fix it DIY, parts about $4k. I have a diesel Sprinter and live in fear of the cost when things break. The diesel cars have been ruined by all of the pollution junk that's been added.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a downside. One of our kid's Audi diesel fuel pumps recently grenaded,which I've learned is not a rare occurrence. Dealer quote to fix is $12k. He's going to fix it DIY, parts about $4k. I have a diesel Sprinter and live in fear of the cost when things break. The diesel cars have been ruined by all of the pollution junk that's been added.
Wow....that's a LOT of money....makes my expense look trivial.

My 2008 Ford F-250 6.4L Powerstroke Diesel lost the high pressure fuel pump in 2016 and cost $2,200 to replace...half of that was labor; mounted on the rear of the engine, you either have to pull the engine or pull the cab....same labor either way. I had 'em pull the cab and replace the rubber doughnuts that went between the cab and the frame, they tend to squeak with aging in a dry, dusty environment at that age.

Reaction score
Not the mention the amount of water it takes to make a gallon of ethanol. Three gallons for one gallon of ethanol. It seems to me to be a no win process. And I live in one of the top three corn producing states.
Interesting recent video on Ethanol....

1647113499416.png

So-- will the eco-npc's follow the science.... LOL