gate sensors.

Reaction score
We install lots of gate contacts, outdoor PIR and beams. beams cost a bit but great for NO faults alarms and if the gate gets left open it will still trip. PIR are also great but I would wire this NO so you can connect it to a buzzer same for the beams the door contact can work and sound the buzzer but a relay is needed.
Or you can just set up the Motion Detection on the cam looking at the gate and fit a buzzer to the output of the DVR/NVR

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone have diagrams , schematics or pictures of motion sensors and wide gap sensors tied into the system then can share? I know nayr said he ties them into the cameras but are you running 2 lead conductors all the way back to the camera? Also has anyone ever tied into a home security panel so when a door , window , etc. opens the signal triggers a camera to look at that area?

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
same basic idea, except they dont need the timer module
So I could put a wireless outdoor sensor on the gate ( Honeywell example ), have that signal my alarm panel and then feed the hard signal line from the panel to the NVR. What ever port on the NVR I hook into I then write the alarm setting and tell a camera or PTZ thru the NVR settings to go to a preset. OR i could tie directly into the Camera and then tell the camera directly what to do .

Do I have this right so far ?

So not to sizzle any cameras or NVR , is there a maximum voltage AC or DC that can should be applied to the alarm inputs of either ( not to exceed ) ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ther'es no voltage going down these lines, its either an open circuit, or closed (grounded)..

apply any any positive voltage to it and all bets are off, you need to use a relay or something inbetween.

you could alternatively do it the other way arround, have the alarm hooked up to the Camera or NVR and take the alarm output from the NVR and tie it into a standard security system as another sensor.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ther'es no voltage going down these lines, its either an open circuit, or closed (grounded)..

apply any any positive voltage to it and all bets are off, you need to use a relay or something inbetween
Ok got it. So it needs to be an open or closed circuit , No volts . Alarm signal triggers relay to open or closed position to alert cams and NVR to do what ever you tell it to do. Also double check with my fluke for any power before making connections.
My wife will just love another project that she gets to help me with. Hey honey come hold theses wires while I turn on the power.....

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Wouldn't a closed circuit have some kind of power going through it or how would it know the circuit is open or closed?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reaction score
this is very easy to do
we use DSC and Hikvision
device to DSC zone,DSC out put to Hikvision input. Some programming is needed
And we also use the MD from the camera to fire the output

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon flip your brain around, the inputs either grounded or floating.. no voltage needed to detect if the other end is connect to ground or not.

electronically this is called a Dry contact - Wikipedia, they put a pull up resistor internally and it just takes a lil bit of ground to pull it back down.

Reaction score
Hmjgriffon
you stopped me
the inputs either grounded or floating.. no voltage needed to detect if the other end is connect to ground or not. is what I was about to say

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wouldn't a closed circuit have some kind of power going through it or how would it know the circuit is open or closed?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I am assuming the NVR or Cameras would have a reference signal or supply there own voltage to a senor. I think what nayr is saying , do not induce additional voltage from and external source. A dry contact or relay is only used to make the connect between the two leads coming from the camera or NVR. When a relay is energized by external power it puts contacts closed to complete the circuit attached to it.

Example of a on off relay setup : Contact a has eternal power , contact b is negative. External power is applied and creates a magnetic field that pulls a switch closed. On the other side of the relay contact c and contact d close to complete a circuit wired on that side. No Power flows from a/b contacts to c/d contacts.

Simple right ? Wrong , relays can be designed in different ways and have multiple contact points. Relays can be wired to apply power from , lets say f contact and allow it to flow thru c or d contact. So if you set a relay up like this you are now inducing external power into your camera or NVR and will have a nice paper weight.

Even if you think you have a relay wired the correct way you should always tested the terminals / contacts you want to connect to before you damage equipment. Hence break out the Fluke or lick the terminals...

Ok gang I think I explained it in simple cave man terms.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I am assuming the NVR or Cameras would have a reference signal or supply there own voltage to a senor. I think what nayr is saying , do not induce additional voltage from and external source.
Yeah that's what I thought, connect dry contacts to camera alarm in and ground and call it a day

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Internally you are talking about the cameras or NVR correct ? When ground is applied it kicks up the voltage to whatever the circuit is designed for. So the NVR or Camera would put out a 12v supply correct ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no internally the chips are likely running at 3.3v so thats probably the VCC, its all regulated down to chip voltage.

thats Input the NVR and cameras, the alarm outputs on many cameras will have a relay on it so you can push whatever you want through it.. but not for inputs, and I dont think the NVR's have relay output.. I have them set to trigger when they provie ground with a pull up resistor on my alarm.

Brian Martin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no internally the chips are likely running at 3.3v so thats probably the VCC, its all regulated down to chip voltage.

thats Input the NVR and cameras, the alarm outputs on many cameras will have a relay on it so you can push whatever you want through it.. but not for inputs, and I dont think the NVR's have relay output.. I have them set to trigger when they provie ground with a pull up resistor on my alarm.
I think the my new NVR has a few relay ports on it . It's the 5416 . I am leaving my office now and will need to take a look at the back of the NVR or spec sheet when I get home.