Gathering info for my build ...

Reaction score
I am going to be using 2-4 cameras and am pretty sure I am going with these:
LaView Premium IP LV-PD50208 2.8mm 1080P Indoor/ Outdoor Vandalproof Dome Network IP Camera (2-pack)

I already have a home server for media and all that, so my plan it to use a USB external hard drive for it ... if possible. Is it?

My home server specs are:

• Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 3.2GHz CPU
  • 24GB DDR3 Memory
  • 500GB 7200RPM HDD (OS DRIVE)
  • 8TB Raid5 Storage (for all my media)
  • DVD-ROM
  • 280W Fixed PSU

Mainly I will view on my phone and hardly ever on the server. I do want to have the ability to store images/vids of anyone who actually comes in view of camera like the front door or back yard and driveway.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
not the physical cable..I mean how do you intend to get the camera to record to pc? Software? While the cameras can record to a network drives there are limitations discussed in various threads...you can uses hikvisions ivms software or third party software like blue iris.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do you have anything else on USB, and is it USB 2.0 or USB 3? 4x 1080p cameras will pretty much saturate USB 2.0 bus recording at the same time.. your only talking ~45Mbps throughput tops on USB 2.0..

if you dont have the room internally use an eSata drive.

ps: raid5 is dead, is statistically guaranteed to fail once you hit 12tb of rust, and I presume you have with an 8tb raid5: http://www.zdnet.com/article/has-raid5-stopped-working/ your looking at weeks of rebuild time and its still more likely than not going to fail the rebuild.

carnagelan

n3wb
Reaction score
Depending on the software you use, the USB will be fine.

You will need:

1. Your Server
2. Hard drives
3. 2 * GB network cards
4. Cat5/6 cable
5. RJ45 connecters and boots
6. PoE switch with 1 GB port
7. Internet connection
8. Software for your recording/viewing
9. Trucking for neat installation
10. Mounting boxed for your cameras

Reason why i say 2 network cards is for security. 1 network card goes to the switch for your cameras and the other network card goes to router for remote viewing.

If you do not want 2 network cards, use a PoE switch with 2 GB ports. 1 port will go to router and the other port will go to your server

Reaction score
Depending on the software you use, the USB will be fine.

You will need:

1. Your Server
2. Hard drives
3. 2 * GB network cards
4. Cat5/6 cable
5. RJ45 connecters and boots
6. PoE switch with 1 GB port
7. Internet connection
8. Software for your recording/viewing
9. Trucking for neat installation
10. Mounting boxed for your cameras

Reason why i say 2 network cards is for security. 1 network card goes to the switch for your cameras and the other network card goes to router for remote viewing.

If you do not want 2 network cards, use a PoE switch with 2 GB ports. 1 port will go to router and the other port will go to your server

You will need:

1. Your Server - DONE
2. Hard drives - DONE
3. 2 * GB network cards - I do not have these ... are these mandatory?
4. Cat5/6 cable - DONE
5. RJ45 connecters and boots - DONE
6. PoE switch with 1 GB port - Still looking, what would be a good switch to get. so far I have 7-8 overall cat5 lines running through the house for various things, including the 3-4 lines I will run for IP cameras. would a 12 port switch work or would I need to go 16? I do not need all 16 to be POE ... 4-8 POE connections at most
7. Internet connection - DONE
8. Software for your recording/viewing - I was going to use LaViews software that comes with it or Blue Iris if needed.
9. Trucking for neat installation - not much needed, it will be in closet in the office
10. Mounting boxed for your cameras - says they come with cameras

carnagelan

n3wb
Reaction score
You will need:

1. Your Server - DONE
2. Hard drives - DONE
3. 2 * GB network cards - I do not have these ... are these mandatory?
4. Cat5/6 cable - DONE
5. RJ45 connecters and boots - DONE
6. PoE switch with 1 GB port - Still looking, what would be a good switch to get. so far I have 7-8 overall cat5 lines running through the house for various things, including the 3-4 lines I will run for IP cameras. would a 12 port switch work or would I need to go 16? I do not need all 16 to be POE ... 4-8 POE connections at most
7. Internet connection - DONE
8. Software for your recording/viewing - I was going to use LaViews software that comes with it or Blue Iris if needed.
9. Trucking for neat installation - not much needed, it will be in closet in the office
10. Mounting boxed for your cameras - says they come with cameras
your server will have 1 built onto the main board so that is all sorted. You dont have to have a 2nd network card.

if you dont have more than 8 cameras get a 8 port PoE with 2 uplink port.

Camera are connected at follows.

PoE Cameras -> PoE Ports on switch
Server -> Uplink port on switch
ADSL Router -> 2nd Uplink port on switch

Once that is connected then load your software, detect and setup the cameras. Setup your router to allow port forwarding.
Since you are using a pc based server and not embedded you will have to allow the ports through the windows firewall.