General questions regarding storage

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone Im new to this whole area and had a few questions regarding storage and BI.

Im planning on setting up one camera and having it record continuously. I don't think my desktop would be the best place to store so much info (perhaps 24 or 48 hours at a time before I delete). Is there a way to transfer recordings from your BI to a cloud service so it doesn't clog up your computer? Is this what most people using BI are already doing? If so which cloud service may be best for storing or transferring video recordings?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If your only reason for wanting to store video off-site is that you don't have enough storage capacity on-site, then just buy a hard drive. Hard drives are cheap. http://a.co/2n5p8a3

That said, you can have Blue Iris record to a dropbox folder (or the equivalent from another service) and when the clips are finished they should get uploaded to "the cloud". You would probably find the videos got deleted from your account shortly after they were deleted from your local system though.

Also, recording continuously to an offsite location uses a whole lot of bandwidth. Just one camera with a 4 Mbps constant bit rate would use 1.3 terabytes every 30 days. If you have a data cap, this will certainly go over it. If you don't have an explicit data cap then you would most likely get away with it, but you should know that many internet providers have a fair usage policy that basically says they can terminate your service if they think your usage doesn't follow the patterns that allow them to oversell the heck out of their service.

If you want to use cloud storage as a backup, I recommend you consider recording continuously to your local disk only, and then create a second copy of the camera in Blue Iris and configure the copy to record on motion only to your cloud folder. Unless you are recording a very busy area then the bandwidth and storage usage should be inconsequential.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
If your only reason for wanting to store video off-site is that you don't have enough storage capacity on-site, then just buy a hard drive. Hard drives are cheap. http://a.co/2n5p8a3

That said, you can have Blue Iris record to a dropbox folder (or the equivalent from another service) and when the clips are finished they should get uploaded to "the cloud". You would probably find the videos got deleted from your account shortly after they were deleted from your local system though.

Also, recording continuously to an offsite location uses a whole lot of bandwidth. Just one camera with a 4 Mbps constant bit rate would use 1.3 terabytes every 30 days. If you have a data cap, this will certainly go over it. If you don't have an explicit data cap then you would most likely get away with it, but you should know that many internet providers have a fair usage policy that basically says they can terminate your service if they think your usage doesn't follow the patterns that allow them to oversell the heck out of their service.

If you want to use cloud storage as a backup, I recommend you consider recording continuously to your local disk only, and then create a second copy of the camera in Blue Iris and configure the copy to record on motion only to your cloud folder. Unless you are recording a very busy area then the bandwidth and storage usage should be inconsequential.
I don't plan on holding on to more than 48 hrs a time just enough to be able to go back and check recordings if anything happens over night or any package is stolen while I'm at work.

@bp2008 summed it up perfectly but we need more info on why you want to do this.

If it's to save HD space, it doesnt use that much if you record only on motion. I've got 10 cams recording on motion only to a 2TB HD and I'm currently only using 330Gigs of it. These recordings go back a month which is way more history than I really need for a home system.

If it's because you think someone will steal the PC, hide it. Use a dedicated machine just for this instead of your everyday use computer.
Id like to have it saved in an external location because I feel it may slow down my computer if I store hrs of recorded videos there (I'm probably way off). I'd like continuous recording instead of motion only, I don't have the camera or Blue Iris yet but I anticipate a load of questions regarding file transfers or configuring where recordings will go.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Storing more data will not slow down your computer.

In Blue Iris you simply set a limit on the size of the folder you are saving recordings to, and it will automatically delete old clips to make room for new ones. If you are happy with only two days of retention then you only need 50-200 GB of space (it all depends on the bit rate you configure in your camera).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, I strongly discourage attempting to store continuous recordings in a cloud storage service. Storing a copy of motion-triggered recordings is fine, and at the same time you can store continuous recordings on a local disk.

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Storing more data will not slow down your computer.

In Blue Iris you simply set a limit on the size of the folder you are saving recordings to, and it will automatically delete old clips to make room for new ones. If you are happy with only two days of retention then you only need 50-200 GB of space (it all depends on the bit rate you configure in your camera).
This sounds perfect, Im not as proficient with computers as I should be but I get most of this except for slowing down the bit rate. Time for youtube.

Again, I strongly discourage attempting to store continuous recordings in a cloud storage service. Storing a copy of motion-triggered recordings is fine, and at the same time you can store continuous recordings on a local disk.
I will take your advice, again, I need to check in on all those BI tutorials on YT. Something like getting an external memory drive and transferring data there may sound easy to most but I'd imagine having some trouble setting that up. If any good BI tutorials come to mind please post links if you have the time.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
A USB disk can work, but I've had them simply disconnect from the system after a few days/weeks/months and need physically unplugged and plugged back in. Not ideal.

Better to use an internal disk unless you are planning to start with a small system like a laptop that can't take another internal disk. Such systems are not recommended since they are often underpowered and can't take a full size HDD.

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
A USB disk can work, but I've had them simply disconnect from the system after a few days/weeks/months and need physically unplugged and plugged back in. Not ideal.

Better to use an internal disk unless you are planning to start with a small system like a laptop that can't take another internal disk. Such systems are not recommended since they are often underpowered and can't take a full size HDD.
I feel like my desktop might have enough room for an internal disk. Is there one that I should specifically look for?

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many good suggestions.

Storing several days, weeks, months of recording will not slow down your computer! BI database maint, Repair/Regen/Compact, will take longer, but that's about it. Plus, and hard drive maint.

The following hard drives are specially designed for Surveillance systems running 24/7. They have specially designed caches and multiple i/o channels that can handle up to 64 concurrent HD cameras...

Western Digital Purple. On Amazon, 2tb $84, 4tb $146, and, 8tb $281.
Seagate SkyHawk. On Amazon, 2tb $75, 4tb $128, 8tb $274, 10tb $357. Less expensive than WD. I have a few of the 2 tb drives.

I've had good luck with both, and prefer Seagate for cost.

Also, put all recording in NEW. No need to move them to Stored, or, another folder. That is, unless you want to move them to an external USB for archival. Let them live and die in NEW.

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Many good suggestions.

Storing several days, weeks, months of recording will not slow down your computer! BI database maint, Repair/Regen/Compact, will take longer, but that's about it. Plus, and hard drive maint.

The following hard drives are specially designed for Surveillance systems running 24/7. They have specially designed caches and multiple i/o channels that can handle up to 64 concurrent HD cameras...

Western Digital Purple. On Amazon, 2tb $84, 4tb $146, and, 8tb $281.
Seagate SkyHawk. On Amazon, 2tb $75, 4tb $128, 8tb $274, 10tb $357. Less expensive than WD. I have a few of the 2 tb drives.

I've had good luck with both, and prefer Seagate for cost.

Also, put all recording in NEW. No need to move them to Stored, or, another folder. That is, unless you want to move them to an external USB for archival. Let them live and die in NEW.
Thanks, this is exactly what I think I might need. I'm not too sure it may "fit" in my computer, again I am illiterate when it comes to anything to do with opening it up so I included pics. I didnt see an area or port where I can connect something else. There did seem to be room to stack another HD on top of the existing. Let me know what you guys think.

**Quick side question, I believe the Dahua z5 5231 has a zoom feature, can you control that through the an app if using BI?

Last edited:

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last year, I had bought 3 WD HD's that when powering down, would make a horrible vibration/rattle noise. Sent them in for replacement, and the replacements did the same. I contacted WD, and even sent them a sound file of it. I also asked them for an explanation. They were not interested. They only offered to replace them. I informed them that in that case, I will return them, and start a project to replace all my WD HD's with Seagate. Which I did!

I have no faith in WD any more.

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Last year, I had bought 3 WD HD's that when powering down, would make a horrible vibration/rattle noise. Sent them in for replacement, and the replacements did the same. I contacted WD, and even sent them a sound file of it. I also asked them for an explanation. They were not interested. They only offered to replace them. I informed them that in that case, I will return them, and start a project to replace all my WD HD's with Seagate. Which I did!

I have no faith in WD any more.
Based off the above pics does it seem like there would be a space to fit and additional HD? I seriously cant tell when looking, I dont see any extra ports.

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, this is exactly what I think I might need. I'm not too sure it may "fit" in my computer, again I am illiterate when it comes to anything to do with opening it up so I included pics. I didnt see an area or port where I can connect something else. There did seem to be room to stack another HD on top of the existing. Let me know what you guys think.

**Quick side question, I believe the Dahua z5 5231 has a zoom feature, can you control that through the an app if using BI?
It looks like you MAY have space for an additional hard drive between the CD-Drive and your exsisting HD.
BUT.....
- You'll need a HD mounting bracket specifically for that case. If you no longer have it, you may be able to search eBay for one.
- Those drives are packed in so close, that I believe there would eventually be heat problems. Fan would help, but not by much.

I woudn't suggest putting in another internal hard drive.

Best solution?
Find a mid size tower case that will fit the motherboard type in your current case, and, move all components into that. The new case will have cages for up 4-6 hard drives, and you can add extra fans to cool everything down.

What make model desktop do you have?
How much memory do you have. Can't be too much with 2 slots!
What version of Windows are you running?

As far as the Dahua z5 5231 question. please start a different post about that.

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Best solution?
Find a mid size tower case that will fit the motherboard type in your current case, and, move all components into that. The new case will have cages for up 4-6 hard drives, and you can add extra fans to cool everything down.
Quick search on Amazon, I found this case. It's tool-less. Comes with motherboard offset mounting bolty thingys, and 1 fan. You can install up to 4 addition fans if needed. Up to 4 hard drives mount tool-less. USB3.0 ports.

Just an example of what's out there...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727YR9Z6/ref=twister_B071RSTCG5?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
There's a VIVO V01 or V02 that looks awsome!

Amazon search for Mid Tower cases.

One thing to note on any case you get...
- will it fit your motherboard. Probably ATX? Some mfg's have custom motherboards!
- You'll need to jump the front USB header to the motherboard. Might be tricky if you can't find the docs.
- You'll also need to jump the front mic and audio to the motherboard. Again, tricky if you can't find the docs.

This is way more than you bargained for, I bet.

Last edited:

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Quick search on Amazon, I found this case. It's tool-less. Comes with motherboard offset mounting bolty thingys, and 1 fan. You can install up to 4 addition fans if needed. Up to 4 hard drives mount tool-less. USB3.0 ports.

Just an example of what's out there...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0727YR9Z6/ref=twister_B071RSTCG5?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
There's a VIVO V01 or V02 that looks awsome!

Amazon search for Mid Tower cases.

One thing to note on any case you get...
- will it fit your motherboard. Probably ATX? Some mfg's have custom motherboards!
- You'll need to jump the front USB header to the motherboard. Might be tricky if you can't find the docs.
- You'll also need to jump the front mic and audio to the motherboard. Again, tricky if you can't find the docs.

This is way more than you bargained for, I bet.
I did expect extra expenses. It makes sense I would need these having no room in mine. Not sure what you meant up there in bold. I could use this opportunity to finally upgrade my computer into a nice gaming computer while Im at it...hmm.. thanks for taking the time in searching for those btw

fajardoj36

n3wb
Reaction score
Can one of the security system DVR's be used in a situation like this? The ones that usually come with the 4 or 8 camera kits. How would one use BI with something like that, if it's possible?

Or is there another option if I'm just storing 1 or 2 days max at a time?

Last edited:

Mike.in.Minnesota

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's a good price.

However, does your box support usb 3.0? You can check by the color of the usb port - should be blue, and, it may have a SSusb symbol next to the port.
If not, it would run at usb 2.0 speeds.

I'm not sure if an external hard drive will perform adequately for Blue Iris.

You may want to post a new thread something along the lines of 'External HD for Blue Iris Recordings'.