GEOvision NVR wont detect IP cameras off of network switch

Kba9

n3wb
Reaction score
hello all,

I was adding an NVR to a system so that it can be viewed from another location for employee use. I can detect the NVRs Ip from the device utility tool on the PC. But I cannot pull any IP address from the POE switch through the NVR. The NVR model is (GV-SNVR0812). Maybe this is just not possible or maybe there's a better solution. I am trying to achieve playback from another spot in the establishment that is separate from the main PC.

Thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most NVRs segregate the POE ports onto a different IP address subnet, so you cannot pull those cameras thru to something else other than by pulling up the camera views via the NVR IP address and viewing them that way. As you can see, your cameras are on the 10.x.x.x subnet, which means they cannot be accessed beyond the NVR in that manner.

You don't need another NVR at another site to be viewed - they can simply pull up the NVR gui via IP address and user/password.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It is common for an NVR to have the cameras on a different subnet than the main LAN subnet. Just view the NVR from its' IP address. You can probably set up users there with rights restricted to specific cameras or groups of cameras if needed as well.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
hello all,

I was adding an NVR to a system so that it can be viewed from another location for employee use. I can detect the NVRs Ip from the device utility tool on the PC. But I cannot pull any IP address from the POE switch through the NVR. The NVR model is (GV-SNVR0812). Maybe this is just not possible or maybe there's a better solution. I am trying to achieve playback from another spot in the establishment that is separate from the main PC.

Thank you!

Adding an NVR to an existing camera setup should be done manually because most camera's internal software turns off the discovery port once its activated.
So most likely its not going to show up and you have to input the ip and streaming port.

Kba9

n3wb
Reaction score
Adding an NVR to an existing camera setup should be done manually because most camera's internal software turns off the discovery port once its activated.
So most likely its not going to show up and you have to input the ip and streaming port.
1662833735934.png

Is this what you are referring to?

Kba9

n3wb
Reaction score
1662834228006.png

Should the protocol be RTSP?

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 139486

Is this what you are referring to?
Yes, the ports of the camera. But the discovery port is not accessible and only active on cameras not set up or what is called in initialization state after a factory reset. So if the camera above has an ip address of 10.1.10.208 you have to input that manually in the channel you want to display on the NVR. say 10.1.10.208 port 80. The port mapping option tab you are shown here only changes these default ports (which in most cases, you don't change anything here, just find out what defaults you have in the camera).

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
View attachment 139487

Should the protocol be RTSP?
not always, because protocal has to do with the data query structure, take for example hikvision request packet (onvif2) is rtsp:/admin:12345@IPort/Streaming/Channels/ID but a different protocal might format the query string like rtsp:/192.168.1.1?Port=80?user=admin?pass=1234?SID=1 Btw these prococals different. as Onvif is not a standardized protocal so different manufacturers have different query string formats.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to achieve playback from another spot in the establishment that is separate from the main PC.
Is that "spot" another PC and it's on the same LAN as the NVR?
If so, I suggest doing as @wittaj and @sebastiantombs suggested; no need to to tinker with the cams IF they were working OK. :cool:

EDIT: in your OP you mentioned "POE switch": are the cams plugged into the POE ports of the NVR or are they plugged into a POE switch?

Kba9

n3wb
Reaction score
Is that "spot" another PC and it's on the same LAN as the NVR?
If so, I suggest doing as @wittaj and @sebastiantombs suggested; no need to to tinker with the cams IF they were working OK. :cool:

EDIT: in your OP you mentioned "POE switch": are the cams plugged into the POE ports of the NVR or are they plugged into a POE switch?
The system is in a locked office which is a PC. The new spot for the employees is the NVR. The NVR is connected to the POE switch that is powering all the cameras. So yes they are plugged into the POE switch. Still having no luck in getting these cameras connected. Thanks for the help again!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to answer your first question, Yes its on the same LAN as I can pull up the NVR settings from the PC. Yes the other spot is a PC. :)
If the "other spot" PC is on the same LAN as the NVR then why not create another user on the NVR and have people pull up the NVR's embedded webGUI by entering its LAN IP (10.1.10.156) in a browser and log in with that user/pass to view cams? Make the user non-Admin, allow to view cams only.

Last edited:

Kba9

n3wb
Reaction score
Since they are geovision cameras its either Geovision or Geovision2 protocal, which should auto occupy the correct port number to connect to then you fill in the ip address and the current admin password the camera has stored.
Still having no luck

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
try adding the nvr to the camera, since the camera is already connected to a PC with viewer
Capture.JPG

It should be the same port# you put in the nvr (looks like 80 on your previous screen)

I would check the persistant box to enable so it tries to reconnect.

You might have to reboot the camera manually for this to take effect.

Usually you set up the cameras to the NVR, then add the whole NVR to the viewing computer

If above doesn't work, one by one, factory reset your cameras, then set them up on the nvr one by one, then when you can get into the office, add the nvr to the viewer and delete the old camera list.

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have your cameras setup on the NVR the cameras will be on whatever subnet the NVR uses for the cameras.
You can then create a static route in your router that points to the camera subnet with the NVR Lan IP address as the gateway and you will then be able to access the camera subnet from your normal computer subnet.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was adding an NVR to a system so that it can be viewed from another location for employee use.
I think we've been assuming that the 'other location' is still internal to your organisation.
But I'm wondering if it isn't.
Can you clarify?

Are you aware that the camera you've used for your screenshot is accessible by the entire internet?
This configuration presents a serious risk of the device being compromised and therefore potentially exposing the other devices and their data that is on your organisation's LAN.

Suggestion :
Check for any unintended exposure to the internet by testing with the ShieldsUp! service, use the 'All Ports' scan here :