Getting a Hikvision WiFi Cube cam to record to Hikvision NVR?

dampsand

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's the setup:

Hikvision NVR
2 x Hikvision bullet cameras connected directly to NVR and powered over PoE
1 x Hikvision Cube camera, model DS-2CD2442FWD-IW, powered by mains and connects to WiFi.

I can add all the cameras to the NVR, in terms of monitoring them, and to the iVMS-4500.

What I wondered though, can I get the Wifi connected Cube to record to the HDD inside the NVR?

Logging in to the Cube, via IP address I go to Storage > Storage Management > HDD Management but there is no HDD listed in there. Am I trying this wrong? Do I need to go to the NVR to somehow 'hook in' the recording of the Cube?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can add all the cameras to the NVR, in terms of monitoring them
If you've already added the cube camera to the NVR, you just need to enable the type of recording schedule that you want (continuous or motion / alarm / event) under the NVR web GUI Storage | Storage Settings menu.

dampsand

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks @alastairstevenson , but for some reason it's not working. Here's a screenshot of the NVR settings page, all 3 cameras (as described in my OP) are listed and they are all 'enabled'. Any further thoughts?

Screenshot at:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, for the motion only schedule on the camera you have selected, under Basic Event do you have the 'Enable Motion Detection' tickbox enabled?

dampsand

n3wb
Reaction score
Yep, I checked each one just to be sure. But isn't that superseded by the fact the drop-down for each camera is set to 'Continuous' as you can see in the screenshot?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
the drop-down for each camera is set to 'Continuous' as you can see in the screenshot?
The 'dropdown' is simply what you'd use to select the type of recording schedule you are going to use when you configure it. It does not indicate what's currently active.

Your schedule is set as 'green' which equates to 'Motion'.

dampsand

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok thanks for clarifying. In which case, any idea why this Wifi connected camera is not recording? I go to Playback and there's no record file, even though I know motion is happening each night. The other PoE cameras, connected direct to the NVR, are working fine on the same motion schedule.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok thanks for clarifying. In which case, any idea why this Wifi connected camera is not recording? I go to Playback and there's no record file, even though I know motion is happening each night. The other PoE cameras, connected direct to the NVR, are working fine on the same motion schedule.
I'm pretty sure you don't have the camera connected to the NVR.

Can you login to the NVR and post a screenshot of the IP numbers on the camera management page? I can help you configure it from there.

dampsand

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Del Boy here is a screenshot of the camera management page, as viewed via the NVR. The Cube is the 0.98 one - I reserved that IP in the router settings to stop it changing as it gets unplugged a fair amount.

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 00.04.37.png

I can view both cameras via the NVR, either via HDMI cable or the IVMS-4500 app connecting to the NVR IP address.

Why won't the cube record? Just to confirm it connects to my network via WiFi whereas the other camera on there is hardwired in to one of the POE ports on the NVR.

Last edited:

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
that is the camera management page got too add that ip of the cube too the camera page on the nvr where is shows how many cameras you have eg 4 8 16, on the 3rd camera use manual adding type the ip of the cube then admin then the camera password then hit save then scroll down to the bottom right hit save there too then hit refresh its should say connecting to network then it will connect, then it should record make sure you go back to the screen that has motion record for ip cam 3 hit advance and select record audio other wise it will be set to the same as your other cameras, the web gui for the cube is showing you there is no hard drive as there is no sd card installed,also on the ivms4500 go too the group page hit refresh you should see the camera in the nvr group too

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi @Del Boy here is a screenshot of the camera management page, as viewed via the NVR. The Cube is the 0.98 one - I reserved that IP in the router settings to stop it changing as it gets unplugged a fair amount.

View attachment 19644

I can view both cameras via the NVR, either via HDMI cable or the IVMS-4500 app connecting to the NVR IP address.

Why won't the cube record? Just to confirm it connects to my network via WiFi whereas the other camera on there is hardwired in to one of the POE ports on the NVR.
open up the sadap tool and give it its own ip then un tick dhcp enter your password it should say network parameters ok doesnt matter how many times you switch it off it will always remain the same no need to do it in the router

dampsand

n3wb
Reaction score
that is the camera management page got too add that ip of the cube too the camera page on the nvr where is shows how many cameras you have eg 4 8 16
Which page is this? This is the only page listing out all the cameras attached to the NVR and their status.

on the 3rd camera use manual adding type the ip of the cube then admin then the camera password then hit save then scroll down to the bottom right hit save there too then hit refresh its should say connecting to network then it will connect, then it should record make sure you go back to the screen that has motion record for ip cam 3 hit advance and select record audio other wise it will be set to the same as your other cameras, the web gui for the cube is showing you there is no hard drive as there is no sd card installed,also on the ivms4500 go too the group page hit refresh you should see the camera in the nvr group too
I think we've got our wires crossed. The Cube camera is working and is within the NVR group - it's the 2nd camera in the list. As mentioned I can view camera 1 (POE) and camera 2 (the Cube) both via HDMI direct to the NVI, as well as via the app, etc. etc. The only thing I can't get it work is the recording from the Cube to the NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For continuous recording in the NVR only a couple of things are needed - NVR web GUI -
Storage | Schedule Settings all in Blue (for continuous), and Enable ticked - for the camera of interest via the drop-down at the top.
And presumably under Storage Management, the HDD(s) are looking Normal with R/W property as the other camera is OK.

dampsand

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @alastairstevenson - I appreciate you revisiting this one.

The NVR schedule is on continuous as you mention. The cameras themselves, via their own web GUI, are setup to motion/event based, 24/7.

The POE one is working fine.

Is there any screenshots I can share at this stage? Shall I do one of the record schedule for the NVR and one for the schedule for the Cube?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there any screenshots I can share at this stage? Shall I do one of the record schedule for the NVR and one for the schedule for the Cube?
OK - but from what you've described there will be nothing problematic in there.

But - what model of NVR, what recording resolution is it rated for, what resolution are the cameras main streams set to, and what compression type are the cameras set to?

dampsand

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, the NVR is a Hikvision too: DS-7604NI-E1

The streams for both the POE bullet and the WiFi Cube are 1920x1080p.

I re-checked the Storage > Schedule Settings within the NVR web-GUI and both cameras are light purple, 'Event'. The POE bullet is working fine like this.

You can definitely have a manually added (to the NVR) WiFi camera record to the NVR HDD?

dampsand

n3wb
Reaction score
I've gone through both camera's web-GUI and checked every setting and they match, between the POE hardwired that is recording and the WiFi manually added that isn't. So I'm guessing the setting is either a network issue? Or something in the NVR that I'm missing? If you look back at my screenshot you can see the WiFi one (D02) is on a slightly different IP subset, is that relevant?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You can definitely have a manually added (to the NVR) WiFi camera record to the NVR HDD?
If it shows as connected, which it does, it should record, whether it's via WiFi or wired.
But for some reason I thought you were looking for continuous recording.
Maybe for test purposes you could change the storage type to Continuous and see if it records OK.

If it's event recording - you will also need to set up the arming schedule and linkage method under Basic Event and Smart Event for the required event types.

dampsand

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I think I cracked it - for some reason the linkage method to 'record' was unticked. Hopefully this thread will help others :)