Getting new WiFi router this weekend - concerned about my cameras working afterwards

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I currently have my own WiFi router that connects to my Comcast internet gateway. This router provides my connection to the WAN and also creates my LAN (hard-wired and WiFi). This weekend Comcast will be on site to install new service for me which includes a new "gateway" that provides both WAN and LAN connectivity and routing.

My question is... can someone tell me if I can still use the 10.0.1.x IP range for my LAN with this new gateway from Comcast? I'm not sure if it allows me to control that or not. My cameras, printers and hard-wired WiFi access points all use static IPs in this range.

Appreciate it!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Getting new WiFi router this weekend - concerned about my cameras working afterwa

I currently have my own WiFi router that connects to my Comcast internet gateway. This router provides my connection to the WAN and also creates my LAN (hard-wired and WiFi). This weekend Comcast will be on site to install new service for me which includes a new "gateway" that provides both WAN and LAN connectivity and routing.

My question is... can someone tell me if I can still use the 10.0.1.x IP range for my LAN with this new gateway from Comcast? I'm not sure if it allows me to control that or not. My cameras, printers and hard-wired WiFi access points all use static IPs in this range.

Appreciate it!
Why are you having them install their own gateway? The wifi will probably be weaker than your current router. The other issue with modem router combos is nat loopback. Many will not allow you to access your external ip address from within your network...so for example if you want to test port forwarding you will need to use cellular..if you use a mobile app like ipcamtalk/tinycam, you will need to setup duplicate cameras, with the internal address and external..

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Re: Getting new WiFi router this weekend - concerned about my cameras working afterwa

@fenderman... my current router is 6 years old and doesn't support 802.11ac. The new gateway I'm getting is a Cisco DP3941T 24x4 which supports ac. All of my WiFi devices at home can use ac so that's why I'm changing. Testing access via cellular data isn't a problem but being able to configure port forwarding successfully is.

Perhaps someone in the forum will see this who have a Comcast gateway. Appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

@fenderman... my current router is 6 years old and doesn't support 802.11ac. The new gateway I'm getting is a Cisco DP3941T 24x4 which supports ac. All of my WiFi devices at home can use ac so that's why I'm changing. Testing access via cellular data isn't a problem but being able to configure port forwarding successfully is.

Perhaps someone in the forum will see this who have a Comcast gateway. Appreciate it.
You will be able to port forward on the gateway. Is comcast charging you a rental fee? If so buy your own.
If you are not using their phone service, just buy a motorola 6121 or 6141. Then pair it with a router like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Dual-band-Wireless-AC1200-Gigabit-RT-AC55U/dp/B00TZ7GZ7Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439473459&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+ac55
Also, keep in mind that AC wifi is pretty much useless. It has weak range, but more importantly will only make a difference if you have an AC device, a great connection AND are streaming loads of data, that exceeds N throughput, from another network device that is also AC or wired, which is highly unlikely. Its mostly a snake oil sales pitch.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

They have waived the rental fee... Within 25 feet of the gateway location there are 5 devices that support 802.11ac so I figured it would be a benefit.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

They have waived the rental fee... Within 25 feet of the gateway location there are 5 devices that support 802.11ac so I figured it would be a benefit.
if those devices are simply streaming from the internet its not going to help at all..if your 2.4 is congested then AC wont help anymore than an N 5ghz would...but if its free I guess it cant hurt...

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Yeah, I totally get the "smoke & mirrors" when it comes to WiFi speed etc. I was willing to give it a try though. It may be more trouble than it's work if I can't get into the config of the gateway to make sure the local LAN IP range is the same as what I have today. If I can't, I'll probably just turn bridge mode on their gateway and use my existing router.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

Lucky you; none of my home wifi devices can use AC yet. I actually have WiFi turned off on my Asus RT-AC68U router as I use two Ubiquiti UniFi for my access points. They only support 802.11N but this is plenty fast enough for my 50 Mbps / 20 Mbps connection.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah, I totally get the "smoke & mirrors" when it comes to WiFi speed etc. I was willing to give it a try though. It may be more trouble than it's work if I can't get into the config of the gateway to make sure the local LAN IP range is the same as what I have today. If I can't, I'll probably just turn bridge mode on their gateway and use my existing router.
You should be able to easily change the ip addresses to suit your needs...worst case you can just change the static ip's on the devices to match the gateway.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

You should be able to easily change the ip addresses to suit your needs...worst case you can just change the static ip's on the devices to match the gateway.
Speaking of this, how would I access the cameras if I'm unable to change the LAN IP range? Should I just change them to DHCP and reboot them prior to the installation of the new gateway just to be safe? That way I know I'll be able to connect to them.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

You will be able to change the LAN IP range, I'm sure.

But for the sake of argument, lets assume you are not able. You can set your PC to have a static IP address in the old address range, and that will allow it to access the cameras so you can reconfigure their IP addresses to the new range. You can even assign multiple IP addresses to your PC though it is a bit more complicated.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

You will be able to change the LAN IP range, I'm sure.

But for the sake of argument, lets assume you are not able. You can set your PC to have a static IP address in the old address range, and that will allow it to access the cameras so you can reconfigure their IP addresses to the new range. You can even assign multiple IP addresses to your PC though it is a bit more complicated.
@milkisbad hooked me up with the SADP utility that will find the cameras as long as they are on the same LAN regardless of their IP address. The utility will discover the cameras and allow me to change the IP or password too. I can't tell everyone how thankful I am that I decided to buy my cameras from him!

Last edited by a moderator:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

He is a good guy, that is for sure!

MrFixit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

He is a good guy, that is for sure!
+1 Agreed. Cant wait to get my new 4MP cams from him.