Getting the HDW5231R-ZE Dialed in = Priceless!

bam2413

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
TIL....when you follow the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes "Recommended Camera Placement" you end up with an overwhelming amount of IR beams blasting throughout your property. I wasn't super thrilled with how the video looked during a snowstorm as the flakes completely dominated the image. When I got home from work I started playing with the settings and came to find exactly how little light is needed for these 2mp Starlights by just shutting off the IR on them. It literally sees right through the snowflakes now and has a clearer image. You can see in the image below, the IR blast coming from a tree in the yard, yeah that's the camera recommended looking back at the front of the house. I ended up also turning the IR off on this camera and found the IR beams from the PTZ mounted on the peak of the garage and the front door camera was more than plenty of lighting to provide a clearer image...I think I am getting the hang of this thanks to all you fellas!

Last week when I mounted the HDW5231R-ZE on the tree I taped it out and gave it along with the conduit a camo paint job.

Notice the timestamp of simply turning the IR off, one second later how much better the image is. I assume this is basic knowledge for a lot of you, but this was huge for me.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup. I have two zoomed in cams pointing down my driveway to see stuff going by on the road. One with IR LEDs, one without. The one without its own IR LEDs produces a MUCH clearer picture whenever it is snowing or raining heavily.

costib

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bam2413 Can you post(screenshot) your "Picture" & "Exposure" settings for "Night" profile and also the "Zoom" value?
Thanks.

bam2413

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bam2413 Can you post(screenshot) your "Picture" & "Exposure" settings for "Night" profile and also the "Zoom" value?
Thanks.
Yes I will get those posted when I get home this afternoon. I didn't change too much but I will post regardless.

bam2413

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I attached my requested settings below, as you can see, I am running all pretty much default settings. In the first pic you can see the IR light cast down by the PTZ on the peak of the garage and there is a city street light in the intersection some 200' away which provides enough for the cam. I may play with some of the settings a bit more to see if there is anything left to squeeze out, but for now I am happy with the quality.

The 4th pic is the quality during the day for an identification the FedEx guy was moving at a good clip in this screenshot.

Attachments

Last edited:

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's iso a great still image with no IR! Did you check how does actual video of someone walking by look though with IR off? It would be interesting to see if you could still ID someone or if it would cause that shadowy blurred trail.

drrich1101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
TIL....when you follow the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes "Recommended Camera Placement" you end up with an overwhelming amount of IR beams blasting throughout your property. I wasn't super thrilled with how the video looked during a snowstorm as the flakes completely dominated the image. When I got home from work I started playing with the settings and came to find exactly how little light is needed for these 2mp Starlights by just shutting off the IR on them. It literally sees right through the snowflakes now and has a clearer image. You can see in the image below, the IR blast coming from a tree in the yard, yeah that's the camera recommended looking back at the front of the house. I ended up also turning the IR off on this camera and found the IR beams from the PTZ mounted on the peak of the garage and the front door camera was more than plenty of lighting to provide a clearer image...I think I am getting the hang of this thanks to all you fellas!

Last week when I mounted the HDW5231R-ZE on the tree I taped it out and gave it along with the conduit a camo paint job.

Notice the timestamp of simply turning the IR off, one second later how much better the image is. I assume this is basic knowledge for a lot of you, but this was huge for me.
This is funny because every tree cam I have is pointed away from my house toward the street, not towards it. Interesting

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score

The Snow on the ground will help with the Nighttime performance, Seems you have a well lit place, Looking good.