Ghost Caught On Video - BI & 2012

spotco2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have BI installed and running a Hikvision 2012 4mm camera. At night I am getting odd "ghost" images on some videos of moving objects but not everything.

Any clues?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are using direct to disk, in BI, instead of leaving the frame rate to auto, set it to match or exceed the cameras frame rate.
Also you need to adjust the iframes in the camera to match the fps...you can also increase the recieve buffer from 1.5mp to 10mp camera properties> video> configure

Reaction score
this sounds odd to me, as I tested all possible settings, but I can reach my Foscam FI9903P max night-time frame-rate only setting the in-camera values to its max values, namely stream type 0, 1080p, 4Mb, 30fps, key-frame 30, variable rate
this way, BI sees a 10fps and 140-150kb/s movie
if I decrease any of in-camera values, frame-rates decline as well

Reaction score
If you are using direct to disk, in BI, instead of leaving the frame rate to auto, set it to match or exceed the cameras frame rate.
Also you need to adjust the iframes in the camera to match the fps...you can also increase the recieve buffer from 1.5mp to 10mp camera properties> video> configure
this sounds odd to me, as I tested all possible settings, but I can reach my Foscam FI9903P max night-time frame-rate only setting the in-camera values to its max values, namely stream type 0, 1080p, 4Mb, 30fps, key-frame 30, variable rate

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This solution was specific to this issue that was common on hikvsion and dahua cameras...with the latest updates there were changes made to the way blue iris processes video streams.

Reaction score
This solution was specific to this issue that was common on hikvsion and dahua cameras...with the latest updates there were changes made to the way blue iris processes video streams.
OK, anyway, I read many docs that say with cheap/cheapest cams you can barely reach 10fps during the night, and it's a hardware limit, not a software limit, so having a very cheap cam I'm already happy to reach this target
:D

khx73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read a post on another forum that someone posted with the same issue. It turned out to be a network bottleneck. In that case, an older 100Mbps switch was over loaded. The user changed it for a newer gigabit model, and the problem disappeared instantly. They even posted a video with the same artifacting issue.
I'd post a link, but I think it's a violation of this forum's rules to link to other forums, if I understand the Forum Rules correctly.

Reaction score
I read a post on another forum that someone posted with the same issue. It turned out to be a network bottleneck. In that case, an older 100Mbps switch was over loaded. The user changed it for a newer gigabit model, and the problem disappeared instantly. They even posted a video with the same artifacting issue.
I'd post a link, but I think it's a violation of this forum's rules to link to other forums, if I understand the Forum Rules correctly.
mmm, I have a new gigabit switch (TP-LINK TL-SG108 SWITCH 8 PORTS 10/100/1000MBPS), and the cable is a Vandesail® CAT7 Ethernet 10m
I think it's more my cheap cam that is a bottleneck: it is a lot cheaper than an Axis

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can link to other sites for technical/informational purposes......

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
mmm, I have a new gigabit switch (TP-LINK TL-SG108 SWITCH 8 PORTE 10/100/1000MBPS), and the cable is Vandesail® CAT7 Ethernet 10m
I think it's more my cheap cam that is a bottleneck: it is a lot cheaper than an Axis
There is a middle ground between axis and foscam...see the threads on hikvision and dahau...would probably cost the same as your foscam. Foscam should be avoided at all costs.

khx73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Claudio.. sorry that was intended for the OP.

Thanks Fenderman.. wasn't sure about that linking rule.

To the OP: Here is the link to the thread on the other forum where a user has the same artifacting as you.

Reaction score
There is a middle ground between axis and foscam...see the threads on hikvision and dahau...would probably cost the same as your foscam. Foscam should be avoided at all costs.
I acquired it well understanding it's a rubbish, to do some basic test and deepen the matter a bit
anyway, I'm quite sure the right cam to film properly an owl flight in the night will cost me a fortune, if it really exists

Reaction score

To the OP: Here is the link to the thread on the other forum where a user has the same artifacting as you.
yes, I see, but note that during the day even this cheap Foscam gives me 30fps
it's during the night that it falls to max 10fps
and even if I still have 10fps, shooting times are so looong that flying animals seem ghosts (like star trails)
so the bottle-neck cannot be the switch, cable, etc that are the same ...

here a sample

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah, that was network related and the poster was using an NVR...the OP's issue was specific to blue iris...it would occur even if a single camera was the only device on the network.

Reaction score
urgh!
I just noticed my posts are off-topic
I'm speaking of another kind of artifact
so feel free move them elsewhere or delete them
;-)