Ghosting issues

AgentShawn

n3wb
Reaction score
I might be choosing a bad term.

This is what is going on:

I'll move the PTZ, and a trail of the images will be slightly left behind which is what I'm referring to as "ghosting". If there is a different term, by all means, please correct me.

What could be a solution to stop this for Dahua IP cameras? I'm open to suggestions. :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From IPCT's Wiki, Troubleshooting Streaming Problems

Moving objects leaving trails (ghosting)
Depending on the severity of the effect, it could be caused by dropped frames (see above) or simply by your camera settings. Particularly if the effect only happens in low light, it could be the result of using too strong of WDR or 3D NR (noise reduction) in the camera's web interface.
Although the above is written for Blue Iris (VMS on a PC), it could be applicable to your camera settings. What is the camera's resolution, frame rate, bit rate type, bit rate, etc. ?....a screen shot of the cam's "Video" configuration would help. :cool:

AgentShawn

n3wb
Reaction score
For sure!

For Main Stream:

Encode: H.264H
Smart Codec: Off
Resolution: 1920*1080(1080P)
FPS: 30
Bit Rate Type: CBR
(5,000 bit rate)
I Frame Interval: 30
SVC" 1(off)

For Sub Stream:

Resolution: 704*480(D1)
(1,024 bit rate)
I Frame Interval: 60
SVC" 1(off)

Thank you and let me know if you need anything else. :)

AgentShawn

n3wb
Reaction score
Screenshots of exposure, brightness, contrast, etc.
Under the Picture settings:
Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Chroma CNT, Sharpness, Sharpness CNT, and Gamma is set to 50 (out of 100)
Flip is 0 degrees
EIS is off
Picture Freeze is off

Under the Exposure Settings:
Anti-flicker is set to Outdoors
Mode is Auto
Exposure Comp is at 50 out of 100
AE Recovery is 15mins
2D NR is on with grade at 50 of 100
3D NR is on with grade at 50 of 100

Hope that is helpful?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For Main Stream:

Smart Codec: Off
Resolution: 1920*1080(1080P)
(5,000 bit rate)
I Frame Interval: 30
SVC" 1(off)

For Sub Stream:

Resolution: 704*480(D1)
(1,024 bit rate)
I Frame Interval: 60
SVC" 1(off)
Try these:
  • Set all to standard H.264 (if available)
  • Set all FPS to 15 and the iFrame interval to 15
  • Change bit rate to 4096
BTW, what is the lighting conditions at the time?

Last edited:

AgentShawn

n3wb
Reaction score
Try these:
  • Set all to standard H.264 (if available)
  • Set all FPS to 15 and the iFrame interval to 15
  • Change bit rate to 4096
BTW, what is the lighting conditions at the time?
So, the FPS has to be 30 at minimum. That's per the gaming board regulations in my state. If I don't change that setting, should I change the others differently than what you have suggested or do the same?

As for lighting, there is a lot of slot machines in the area. Those of course have many lights static and flashing. Overhead lights are darker typically.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Exposure at “Auto” is probably your biggest problem. Try Manual 0-4 for daytime, Manual 1/120 for nighttime if you have enough light, if not try 1/60

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
You can also drop 3D/2D NR
DNR causes motion blur when too high.

Again all dependent on ambient light. Daytime outdoors typically 30 is fine. Night is harder. 50 max but see if you can dial it back.

it’s a balance between blur and noise. The two main things to experiment with are going to be DNR and Exposure. Next is Gain
Faster exposure helps freeze motion, but also makes the image darker.

A snapshot of your scene would help a lot

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
^^^This. So many people have the (totally false) impression that a higher FPS setting (like 30, rather than 15) will add to the overall "clarity", when in fact it only adds to the smoothness of motion, potentially at the expense of actual sharpness in a stopped frame (screenshot, etc..). Oh well, I guess they must know "best", LOL.

AgentShawn

n3wb
Reaction score
So I adjusted the DNR and it seems to have fixed the camera with issues. I truly appreciate the help.

On the FPS. In this state, we are hung on laws concerning gaming and the state isn't that fast about changing the laws.

I'm just thankful communities like this exists with folks like you. I truly appreciate it.

I'll definitely stick around :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I adjusted the DNR and it seems to have fixed the camera with issues.
So, DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) was the culprit. Pretty close to my suggestion in post #2:
......Particularly if the effect only happens in low light, it could be the result of using too strong of WDR or 3D NR (noise reduction) in the camera's web interface.
And @bigredfish was spot-on. Glad you were able to get it adjusted to your satisfaction! :cool:

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On the FPS. In this state, we are hung on laws concerning gaming and the state isn't that fast about changing the laws.
If it makes you feel any better, another member has some hoops to jump through, albeit in California, to satisfy local government rules. On Jan. 1, 2024 all FFL (Federal Firearm License) holders/gun dealers are required, in his words, "...to maintain 24/7 365 days of audio/ video for 5-6 cameras. 15fps, 2-3mp."

The new law: