gmail email alerts have stopped working

lucky13

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I use gmail smtp servers for my email alerts but recently google turned off insecure 3rd party apps from accessing the SMTP servers...is there anyway to fix this on my cameras shown in my signature ? as both have stopped working

many thanks

Lucky

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are many, many recent threads on this issue. Search can be your best friend! :cool:
Below info courtesy of @wittaj :

"Just a few found in 20 seconds typing GMAIL in the title in the search function.
Three options:
  • Change email provider
  • If using Blue Iris update to latest version that has OAUTH capabilities
  • In GMAIL, set up two factor verification and create an app password and use the app password in your device.
It appears today google is enforcing their new rule of not allowing 3rd party (IP video cameras) to send email through their servers. Anyone found another service or solution? Myself and a few others were using the Event action in an Axis camera to send a snapshot to gmail of triggered events.
GMail is making a major change to their email security settings on 5/30/22, that might break allowing emails from Dahua devices when sending through GMail as things were previously configured, but I found this link earlier today on the Dahua Wiki which was actually just put up within the last 48...
Prior to the 5.5.7 release I was using gmail with relaxed restrictions to send notifications to e-mail/cell. After upgrading to the new release that supports Gmail OAUTH I attempted to switch my alerts to OAUTH and I receive the following error when using Gmail OAUTH to send to an SMS...
I wonder if anyone else has noted this announcement from Google : Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help This means that f you have your Hikvision camera (it might affect other manufacturers too) to send alert...
5.5.7 - May 12, 2022 Support for Gmail’s OAuth2 authentication. Gmail will be discontinuing the support for “app passwords” and “less secure apps” at the end of this month. Visit the Settings/Email page to complete OAuth2 authentication if you are using Gmail for alerts. A new screen capture...
I spotted this on Youtube and thought that it might be helpful.
Just noticed this email on the gmail account that I use to send alert images.......
This might affect many folks here that use GMAIL in their NVR or Blue Iris for notifications. Less secure apps & your Google Account To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your... "

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is the record for the most threads created asking the same thing LOL :p

This is as about as easy of a search of any question ever asked lol.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Dahua posted on their wiki how to do this. These instructions will work for any 3rd party application / camera, as long as you use the 2-step verification password as opposed to your regular password.

Step by Step Instructions
1. Log into the web interface of the NVR
Then select Setting at the top left
Select Network from the drop-down

EmailNotificationsGmail1.png

2. Select Email from the list on the left

EmailNotificationsGmail2.png

3. Check the box next to Enable
Input the following information into these fields:

• SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
  • Port: 587
  • Username: [Your Gmail email address]
  • Sender: [Your Gmail email address]
EmailNotificationsGmail3.png

4. Open a web browser and log into your Gmail account
Click the Account icon at the top right
Select Manage your Google Account

EmailNotificationsGmail5.png

5. Select Security from the list on the left
If 2-Step Verification is already setup on your account, you will see it listed as "On". If that is the case, skip to Step 7.
If 2-Step Verification is off, click the arrow to the right of 2-Step Verification under "Signing in to Google"

EmailNotificationsGmail6.png

6. Select Get Started and then follow through all the steps to setup 2-Step Verification for your Gmail account

EmailNotificationsGmail7.png

7. 2-Step Verification should now show "On" under "Signing in to Google"
Select the arrow to the right of App passwords

EmailNotificationsGmail8.png

8. Click on Select app
Then select Mail from the drop-down

EmailNotificationsGmail9.png

9. Click on Select device
Then select Other (Custom name) from the drop-down

EmailNotificationsGmail10.png

10. Click on the field and type in "Dahua NVR" or another name that will help you associate this password with your NVR
Then select Generate

EmailNotificationsGmail11.png

11. You will see a unique password that was generated for use with your NVR
Note this password for use in the next step

EmailNotificationsGmail12.png

12. Go back to your NVR's web interface, where you left off in Step 3
Enter the password that you got from Step 11 in the Password field

EmailNotificationsGmail14.png

13. Make sure TLS is selected for Encryption Type if it is not already

EmailNotificationsGmail15.png

14. Enter the email address you want to send these notifications to next to Receiver and then press the + button to the right
(The reciever email address(es) can be the same as the sending address or different)
Repeat this process for all email addresses you want notifications sent to

EmailNotificationsGmail4.png

15. Enter the amount of seconds you want between each email notification in the field next to Sending Interval
If you want to recieve emails to verify the email notification system is still working, check the box next to Health Mail and enter how often you want those emails in the field next to Sending Interval

EmailNotificationsGmail16.png

16. Click Apply at the bottom right to save your changes
Press the Test button on the bottom left to test notifications with the information you entered above
If the test is successful you will see a message at the top that says "Test succeded" and you will recieve a test email
If it says "Test Failed", check all the information you entered above

EmailNotificationsGmail13.png

Shiranth

n3wb
Reaction score
There are many, many recent threads on this issue. Search can be your best friend! :cool:
Below info courtesy of @wittaj :

"Just a few found in 20 seconds typing GMAIL in the title in the search function.
Three options:

• Change email provider
  • If using Blue Iris update to latest version that has OAUTH capabilities
  • In GMAIL, set up two factor verification and create an app password and use the app password in your device.
It appears today google is enforcing their new rule of not allowing 3rd party (IP video cameras) to send email through their servers. Anyone found another service or solution? Myself and a few others were using the Event action in an Axis camera to send a snapshot to gmail of triggered events.
GMail is making a major change to their email security settings on 5/30/22, that might break allowing emails from Dahua devices when sending through GMail as things were previously configured, but I found this link earlier today on the Dahua Wiki which was actually just put up within the last 48...
Prior to the 5.5.7 release I was using gmail with relaxed restrictions to send notifications to e-mail/cell. After upgrading to the new release that supports Gmail OAUTH I attempted to switch my alerts to OAUTH and I receive the following error when using Gmail OAUTH to send to an SMS...
I wonder if anyone else has noted this announcement from Google : Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help This means that f you have your Hikvision camera (it might affect other manufacturers too) to send alert...
5.5.7 - May 12, 2022 Support for Gmail’s OAuth2 authentication. Gmail will be discontinuing the support for “app passwords” and “less secure apps” at the end of this month. Visit the Settings/Email page to complete OAuth2 authentication if you are using Gmail for alerts. A new screen capture...
I spotted this on Youtube and thought that it might be helpful.
Just noticed this email on the gmail account that I use to send alert images.......
This might affect many folks here that use GMAIL in their NVR or Blue Iris for notifications. Less secure apps & your Google Account To help keep your account secure, starting May 30, 2022, Google will no longer support the use of third-party apps or devices which ask you to sign in to your... "
Here is my solution for Hikvision and Gmail

Attachments