GMAIL SETUP Questions

Midrar

n3wb
Reaction score
There are a ton of threads about gmail setup. Most do not cover what needs to be setup in Gmail. Does anything special need to be established under the gmail settings? I currently have 2 step verification turned off & IMAP is enabled.

In addition, I am using the following settings for hikvision email:
SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
Email Encryption: Close
User Name: Would it be XXX@gmail.com or just XXX?
Server Authentication: Checked

Does anyone see what I am missing?

Midrar

n3wb
Reaction score
Well I finally got it to work. After trying several combinations, I found 2 methods that work for gmail.
Method 1 is with 2 step verification enabled and a separate app password. I received texts and emails within a few seconds. Method 2 is with 2 step verification disabled. There was a 1-2 minute delay in receiving any notification. Either way, below is what worked for me.

Method 1 with 2 step verification enabled
SMTP Port: 25
Enable SSL: Checked
Authentication: Checked
User Name: just the user name. Do not include the @gmail.com
Password: the 16 character 2nd step password you should of created in your gmail account.

Method 2 with 2 step verification disabled
SMTP Port: 25
Enable SSL: Checked
Authentication: Checked
User Name: just the user name. Do not include the @gmail.com
Password: the password you typically use to access your gmail account

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just tried Method 2 with a HikVision NVR DS-7608NI-E2 / 8P with the latest firmware, 3.4.91, and it failed.

cosmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay I finally did get it working with Method 2. Gmail was blocking it. You gotta fiddle with the settings in Gmail. Say it's okay for the unknown device that just tried to log in, to log in. To allow devices to log in etc. It's not particularly clear. I kept plugging away, clicking at OK, OK etc. in gmail and it worked. Sorry I can't be more specific. My Gmail is probably more open to a hack now but I only use it for notifications. Gmail was never designed to be anyway safe. Just to collect data on you :)