Gmail Shuts Down 3rd Party Apps

Reaction score
It appears today google is enforcing their new rule of not allowing 3rd party (IP video cameras) to send email through their servers.
Anyone found another service or solution?
Myself and a few others were using the Event action in an Axis camera to send a snapshot to gmail of triggered events.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Existing thread talking all about it

Reaction score
Yes I found that thread. However the last post to that thread was back in March and there wasn't a solution posted for sending a jpg snapshot.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes there is. Turn on two-factor and get an app password is one solution mentioned as is changing email providers....

Reactions: 12K

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another thread with other email provider options...

Reaction score
That thread ends in a dead end too. The poster says a new Hotmail account worked at first then Hotmail shut him down thinking it was suspicious activity.
But it's like you said since you were the last poster in the thread. Many email providers are tightening the screws regarding what they accept.
All I want is a way to see a snapshot of what triggered an event. The Gmail way worked great while it worked!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep we can thank bots for screwing it over!

I think it is a matter of time before every provider makes it that much more difficult.

It will force people with just cameras to go to a VMS like an NVR or Blue Iris and then use an API to push out an image.

KartCZ

n3wb
Reaction score
It appears today google is enforcing their new rule of not allowing 3rd party (IP video cameras) to send email through their servers.
Anyone found another service or solution?
Myself and a few others were using the Event action in an Axis camera to send a snapshot to gmail of triggered events.
Since few months I am using czech Seznam to get pictures in Event action, try Přihlášení do Seznamu , with google I have never been successful.

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I haven't done this (yet) but it should be possible to set up a Raspberry Pi with exim as an email smart host that satisfies gmail's auth key requirements, and route your cam's emails though that. A Pi 2B or Zero-W would suffice.

Reaction score
You could try either Rackspace basic e-mail ($2.99 USD/month) or SendGrid. You aren't going to find any free transactional e-mail services I'm afraid.