Going mad please help! - Android IVMS-4500 / Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW

Bills

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi people, I've signed up here because I'm going nuts with this stuff. I just want to access the cam within my LAN, using the proper android app. But oh no, that's to much to ask it seems!.

I've plugged the cam into the router, found the Ip address for the camera from my routers list of attached devices, logged in via a browser (can't view video in here with mobile devices), and all I've really done is changed the password and fixed the IP address.

Having found the port number also, I've then attempted to set up the camera in the 4500 app, but all I'm getting is "Receiving data from the camera timed out". :mad-new:

This doesn't impress after just spending £140 on the camera!. It's the same on both my old Samsung Tab 2 and Nexus 5. The same settings gets the camera working in the IP Cam Viewer lite which is almost even more annoying!. Due to my location, I can't get the full version of that app either!. Not without buying a decent VPN app and messing about for hours, so I'm stuck with a terrible low res image and no audio etc.

I will follow up with some screen shots of the settings I've entered etc.

Thanks in advance:(.

Our Windows computer recently expired so I hope I'm not going to need access to a proper computer, we will be looking for another one at some point but not immediately...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For the hikvision app you need to use the media port (default is 8000) not the http port as in ipcamviewer

Bills

n3wb
Reaction score
That sorted it thanks!.

I've got a second issue though, the cam is on the end of a 35m length of cat6, I bought a injector/extractor set of passive poe but they didn't work either!. I've since bunged together a temporary power supply but need it changing asap, could you recommend an injector?. The cam is getting power but can't talk to the network with the ones I bought.

I've just been struck down with a Christmas/New year cold so my patience is very limited, so sorry if I'm coming across as a bit dumb!. I guess I also just expect some damn standardisation/intercompatibility these days!. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Great. Which passive injector are you using?
If you are going to use a single poe camera than an injector like this is great.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Gigabit-Injector-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1420588007&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+injector
If you will be using more than one, it is more economical to use a poe switch
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420588044&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
I have personal experience with the second TP-Link that @fenderman linked to and it's very solid and reliable.

Last edited:

Bills

n3wb
Reaction score
Cheers guys I have ordered the single one. I might want to add another camera but it would be off a splitter on the same cable, would that setup be likely to work?.

These are what I bought,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271510627521?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT .

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
but it would be off a splitter on the same cable, would that setup be likely to work?.
Nope

The thing to keep in mind about poe is that due to the fact that cable has resistance.... the voltage drops over the length of the cable, longer the cable then the more the drop.

The proper / real method of doing poe is only achieved by sticking to the specifications, this is achieved by supplying a lot of volts to the camera, and the camera (cos its clever) reduces the poe voltage.... so the losses over the cable length don't matter, unless your a green person and worry about your carbon foot print, lol.

The passive method is a cheap 'work-a-round' that can and does work very well.... if you understand and accept the limitations

Bills

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Dave but just to confirm (because I didn't word my last post very well), I meant with the proper injector recommended above/the one that I've just ordered ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001PS9E5I/ref=nosim/ipctk-20 ), used with a splitter at the other end (such as this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-STP-SHIELDED-Cat5e-UTP-Network-Cable-Lead-ECONOMISER-Ethernet-DATA-Splitter-/400797819871?pt=UK_Computing_Other_Computing_Networking&hash=item5d516963df . Not the passive injector/extractor.

I actually checked the output from the passive setup and it was 12.3v at the camera to my surprise. I'm not sure if the TP-Link one uses any more or less pairs therfore it may provide a different output down the cable?.

I've got two 12v supplies as well, a 1amp and 6amp.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I meant with the proper injector recommended
Thats a good one :)

However... the answer is still nope, lol

You will see that the poe injector says 'Auto-detect the required power supply' this is done by the poe camera negotiating with the injector.. so connecting two cams may / should cause a bit of confusion.

I actually checked the output from the passive setup and it was 12.3v at the camera to my surprise
Was that under load...

Bit of light reading on the subject .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

Bills

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys, camera is operating nicely on the TP-Link 150. I don't think I will need another camera either, it would be cool to see what's happening above the camera but this will show me 90% of what's going on.

For this application I've made a few changes to the camera, the status LEDs are covered up, the 850nm IR emitter desoldered for a 940nm and the speaker disconnected. The Owls don't seem to pay it an ounce of attention which was the aim!. I just need to mess with all the image settings now and get the pir motion detect working.

The only thing that's still slightly annoying is that I can't always get the full 1080p streaming smoothly, but I think that's device/network related, as my old 1ghz tablet is worst, my 2.3ghz phone seems much better so we'll see how my 5ghz laptop works. Failing that I'll have to track it down in the network. The cam is only talking through a switch, into a 300mbps 220M distance Ubiquiti outdoor WiFi backhaul, then into my router. So for the time I have it set to 720p.