good cam for dark garage? (can use IR illuminator)

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to put a PoE cam in my garage, which will be pitch dark at night. I can absolutely use an IR illuminator to help with the situation.

Is there any camera that will be better than others when in this situation?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW2231R-ZS 2.1MP Varifocal Turret will provide you with what you need; it will probably cost you around $130.00.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Are the mounting holes for the 5231 the same as for the Dahua turrets? And does this model have a microphone and/or audio input?

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to put a PoE cam in my garage, which will be pitch dark at night. I can absolutely use an IR illuminator to help with the situation.

Is there any camera that will be better than others when in this situation?
Can you use regular (white light) illumination, or does the area need to remain dark (dark for visible light) for some reason?

I have found that I prefer white light and color mode for most situations. White LED lights don't use very much power, and often, using an existing light is a lot more convenient than hooking up an IR illuminator.

Unless the white light disturbs someone or something, or unless you're trying to catch someone unaware, I haven't found much benefit, for my uses, to keeping areas dark (to visible light). For example, I just leave a porch light on all night. And it's nice to have the light for us, to make the area less attractive to crooks, and for the cameras.

I'd still recommend cams with good low-light performance. But I like color images and white light for the most part.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
No, it is a hik. No audio.
I wonder if they offer a mounting/electrical box similar to the Dahua PFA122.

It looks very similar to the Dahua HDW2231. I wonder what the mounting hole pattern for the hik is.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's a snapshot on built-in IR sent from a Dahua N44CB33 w/3.6mm inside my (messy) garage.

I can only imagine what one of the Starlight / equivalents would be like in there.

(The cam is temporarily on a tripod for position experimentation but when permanently mounted it will point a bit more toward the door.)

20190124_2028051548383285.jpg

Reaction score
Can you use regular (white light) illumination, or does the area need to remain dark (dark for visible light) for some reason?
I wasn't really planning to leave lights on in the garage all of the time, but maybe I could do some sort of motion triggered lights or something. There are outlets all over the place so I figured an IR illuminator would be perfect but I have zero experience with them.

On another note, is there a preferred vendor for the Starlight?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wasn't really planning to leave lights on in the garage all of the time, but maybe I could do some sort of motion triggered lights or something. There are outlets all over the place so I figured an IR illuminator would be perfect but I have zero experience with them.

On another note, is there a preferred vendor for the Starlight?
Most of these cams have built in IR.

Is the garage of such size you believe the inherent IR will be inadequate?

Reaction score
Most of these cams have built in IR.

Is the garage of such size you believe the inherent IR will be inadequate?
The only experience I have with IR night viewing is my desktop Annke cam. It's OK, I guess. It's a normal 2 car garage

My fear would be to have to rely on footage for something and if a $30 illuminator can make it look like it's much brighter, then that's a no brainer to me, but again,, I'm here to learn. I just know the garage is pitch dark when you're in there .

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are prepared to buy the illuminator up front you could first try just the camera with its built-in IR, then buy later if necessary.

I think you will be surprised by the performance of a Starlight-type cam with just the built in IR.

$30 ain't that much and certainly your $ to spend as you choose. But, why if you find it isn't necessary?

Reaction score
yeah, good point, I don't suppose I need to buy them together and can just see how I feel about the cam once I can view some footage?

Where's everyone buying the Starlights?

I also checked out the IP Cam Talk model and saw there was a similar 4MP model for just a little more. Is there a reason you wouldn't want that over the 2MP?

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Where's everyone buying the Starlights?

I also checked out the IP Cam Talk model and saw there was a similar 4MP model for just a little more. Is there a reason you wouldn't want that over the 2MP?
@EMPIRETECANDY is the go-to guy for Dahua.

Higher megapixel cameras will require more light than lower megapixel cameras.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, unless you go for one of the considerably more expensive cameras with larger image sensor, the 2MP Starlights are the low-light hot ticket. I'm not familiar with the IP Cam Talk cam mentioned earlier to know if the low light capability is same/similar to the Dahua 2MP Starlights.