Good cameras for first time user

Reaction score
Hi
I'm living in northern europe and are for the first time planning to setup a new camera system in my house.
I'm planning to use a server with Frigate running together with home assistant. I also want cameras with cables (POE).

It's a lot of good advices here but many of these are very difficult to get to europe without having to pay very high custom and import fees.
Since I will be running Frigate I guess that I don't need a very good AI in my camera? On the backside of my house it's very dark towards the forest, so there I think I need a IR in the camera.

What i'm basically looking for is the best camera to use outside with POE to deliver a good stable stream to Frigate.
I have been looking at Dahua and Ubiquiti cameras, Dahuas seems to be very difficult to get in europe.
What model from Dahua would you look for when planning to use them with Frigate? I'm thinking I don't the most advanced software in the camera itself, just the best hardware?

Thanks in advance

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome.

Check out the EmpireTech | Security Protection | Security Cameras & NVRs store. This is our member @EMPIRETECANDY (Andy). His Loryta/Empiretech cameras are rebranded Dahua cameras sold on the consumer market. I am in the US and cannot speak to ordering in Europe, but other EU members order from him all of the time.

I would go Dahua over Ubiquiti and the go-to camera right now is the 5442 series.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
I'm living in northern europe and are for the first time planning to setup a new camera system in my house.
I'm planning to use a server with Frigate running together with home assistant. I also want cameras with cables (POE).

It's a lot of good advices here but many of these are very difficult to get to europe without having to pay very high custom and import fees.
Since I will be running Frigate I guess that I don't need a very good AI in my camera? On the backside of my house it's very dark towards the forest, so there I think I need a IR in the camera.

What i'm basically looking for is the best camera to use outside with POE to deliver a good stable stream to Frigate.
I have been looking at Dahua and Ubiquiti cameras, Dahuas seems to be very difficult to get in europe.
What model from Dahua would you look for when planning to use them with Frigate? I'm thinking I don't the most advanced software in the camera itself, just the best hardware?

Thanks in advance
Hi @speedbrake88

SInce you are in Sweden, imho a better performing camera in low light is required.

Look for a IP PoE 4MP 1/1.8" varifocal Dahua OEM or Hikvision OEM camera to start with ..

oh, and I would certainly review the notes on how to connect the camera's pig tail to the cat53/6 better .. also I would get a junction box .. with snow and rain you really want to try to keep water out of the connection ( hit di-electric gel in the RJ45 boot .. just a drop .. )