Good LPR Camera Choice?

Reaction score
Well, not exactly. I only have wireless cameras (like Nest), so I don't have the experience. Is there any thread or info on ways to hook a 5241 up?

Reaction score
Where are you in the game? Do you already have a PC or NVR to hook it up to? IMHO the best way is PoE with cat5e ethernet cable, click in and done. Then log into the cam with Internet Explorer and initialize it, then set it up (configure it), then add it to your VMS and start streaming to your HDD.

Edit: I just realized that perhaps you're brand-new to this hobby. I would say you can, and will need to, learn a ton by reading the wiki and cliff notes, found here ^^^ in IPCT. That's where you'll promptly be directed. There will be a lot more help on the way, but it sounds like maybe you're just scratching the surface.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, let's wait and see what you end up doing.

Do you get an NVR - that is one way to set it up.

Do you use Blue Iris - that is another way to set it up.

Do you just use a computer and the free Dahua software and app - that is another way to set it up.

Let's cross that bridge when you get the camera.

Reaction score
I'm pretty early on but wanted to start planning as I bought the camera.

I do have a PC, but it's mostly used for gaming and not a ton of empty space at the moment. I probably could buy an additional hard drive just for the camera.

Any recommendations of purchasing a specific computer for the camera vs an NVR? I also want to make the camera accessible remotely which I'm guessing shouldn't be a problem.

I'll be reading the Wiki and cliff notes, thanks.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any used business class machine, Dell, HP, Lenovo, from EBay for example, in the i5 or i7 7th generation or newer will work. Look for one with Win10/Pro, minimum 256GB M2 drive, at least 8GB of memory. You can add more memory to get it up to 16GB if you're running a lot of cameras and DeepStack. The big thing is to not go for an all-in-one of small form factor so there's enough internal space to conveniently add addition platter drives for video storage. One that takes full height cards can also be an advantage if you're thinking about DeepStack because it will easily fix a full height GPU card, CUDA capable, to unload the CPU from DeepStack processing.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If your totally new to this, You should probably get a NVR with POE ports. it's plug and Pray. BI would require IP addressing and lots of configuration to get remote accessiblity. But if you get an NVR that plays well with Blue Iris.... Then while you're learning BI your NVR will cover your ass. NVR's have a shitty playback User interface designed by retards. Blue iris playback is fast and efficient if you have other things to do with your day besides agonize over searching for motion events on a timeline.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As you can see. opening playback on an NVR offers to show me 4 of 9 cameras. and it wants to start at 12:00 AM. Now I have to play fuckaroo, and look thru all those motion ticks on the time line. (Kill me now)
Blue iris will show you a recent events column on the left. As you see here is a motion of interest. Its a delivery. Very quickly I just found out I got an Iphone sitting on the fucking porch! I better get my ass out there!
The NVR didnt tell me that.Screenshot 2022-02-14 122618.pngScreenshot 2022-02-14 122809.pngScreenshot 2022-02-14 122728.png

Last edited:

ArthurD123

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @EMPIRETECANDY -- I've just recently purchased two cameras (Z4E), I believe from you via Amazon, and they arrived quite quickly & are very nice products. I ordered a Z12E also via Amazon, and I believe from you, and it's showing that it will deliver on approximately Saturday, March 5th. I was thinking about picking up a second Z12E as well, but Amazon is now showing me an April delivery date.

Is there a better venue to purchase from you, specifically for Z12Es, for faster fulfillment? Or are there just not many left/in the US overall right now?

Ty in advance! :)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @EMPIRETECANDY -- I've just recently purchased two cameras (Z4E), I believe from you via Amazon, and they arrived quite quickly & are very nice products. I ordered a Z12E also via Amazon, and I believe from you, and it's showing that it will deliver on approximately Saturday, March 5th. I was thinking about picking up a second Z12E as well, but Amazon is now showing me an April delivery date.

Is there a better venue to purchase from you, specifically for Z12Es, for faster fulfillment? Or are there just not many left/in the US overall right now?

Email him directly.
kingsecurity2014@163.com

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score

I have bought many cameras from Andy, amazon and direct, he has delivered every time.

ArthurD123

n3wb
Reaction score
I shot him an email at the address provided above, thank you!

Absolutely no doubts here, at all -- is really more just the 'typical' desire for instant-ish gratification -- so figured couldn't hurt to ask if there's a better venue for faster fulfillment. Am a satisfied customer thus far & no reason to believe that'll change! :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sometimes Amazon will put that later date out there so if you get it sooner you are happy!

If Andy has them in stock, no doubt you would get them within 2-4 days or so shipped from HongKong.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks @ArthurD123

Bad luck, the Z12E and the Z4E are badly lack of stocks now in China, we shipped the last batch stocks to US last week, the Z12E can be there this week, amazon will start the shipping.
The Z4E still have some left on Amazon.