Good Morin everybody, how everyone doing out there, Happy Saturday!

Blackdogs2

n3wb
Reaction score
So a quick question,
In the BI status...under messages everyday at 8:02 am there is a message that says

2 1/4/2020 8:02 am App Display change
1/4/2020 8:12 am Frontdoor Signal: network retry
1/4/2020 8:12 am Backdoor Signal: network retry
20 1/4/2020 8:12 am Sideyard Signal: network retry
1/4/2020 8:12 am Driveway Signal: network retry

@8:12 all cameras lose there signal and lock up restarting the cameras thru BI does nothing,
I have to force shut down BI and restart the whole computer, everything runs fine until the next day and it starts again at 8:02am
I have windows 10 home, 8G of ram c: 265G ssid e:4T backup drive i7 8700

Thanks Don

Blackdogs2

n3wb
Reaction score
Has been doing it from the start, 3 days now. Nothing has changed brand new computer and POE+ Switch just used for BI ( old Cameras) the switch is hooked up to router and does have internet access.

Reaction score
I get the display change message when BI starts. 1578151293444.png

It may be that your cameras are trying to phone home. It is recommended here to keep your IP cameras isolated from the internet. Personally I use a separate sub-net that is only connected to my BI computer and has no connection to the internet. So any POE switches that I have that cameras are connected to are not connected to the router.

Blackdogs2

n3wb
Reaction score
I will give that a try thank you,
one question in the future I want to get email messages and video to my phone...does BI need internet access to do that?

Reaction score
I will give that a try thank you,
one question in the future I want to get email messages and video to my phone...does BI need internet access to do that?
Yes. The BI computer would need internet access. Some folks use VLANS to isolate the cameras from the internet. Others use the physical isolation option of having the switches that the cameras are on as a different sub-net and not connected physically to the router/modem. That set of switches are only connected to the BI server and the cameras. To accomplish this, your BI server (computer) needs to have two Network Interface Cards. One connects to your LAN getting internet access and the other connects to the IP Camera switch(es). This is the option that I chose.

Reaction score
Thanks. Not a smart guy. Just got all this info here on IPCAMTALK!

Was thinking about your original issue. Same time every morning. Do your cameras have a daily reboot option that is enabled? If so, you could try turning it off and see if that changes anything.

Wish others with more experience than me would chime in.

Additionally, you could contact the BI folks via email and ask them.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just to confirm , all cameras are hardwired.

Does the BI computer communicate to the cameras and the POE switch through the router. If so this is a bad idea.

In my setup I use two+ switches. The router connects to a Gigabit switch, this is the only local connection on the router. The router has two connections the modem and the switch. The BI computer connects to the gigabit switch, the POE switch connects to the gigabit switch. No local traffic pass through the router.

Is your POE switch a manager switch or dumb switch, what is the make and model of the switch.
It is very strange that the error happens the same time each day.

Hammerhead786

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So a quick question,
In the BI status...under messages everyday at 8:02 am there is a message that says

2 1/4/2020 8:02 am App Display change
1/4/2020 8:12 am Frontdoor Signal: network retry
1/4/2020 8:12 am Backdoor Signal: network retry
20 1/4/2020 8:12 am Sideyard Signal: network retry
1/4/2020 8:12 am Driveway Signal: network retry

@8:12 all cameras lose there signal and lock up restarting the cameras thru BI does nothing,
I have to force shut down BI and restart the whole computer, everything runs fine until the next day and it starts again at 8:02am
I have windows 10 home, 8G of ram c: 265G ssid e:4T backup drive i7 8700

Thanks Don
Have you checked the POE switch at around the time the cameras are dropping to see if something is happing to the switch since this is common to all of the cameras?

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In my setup I use two+ switches. The router connects to a Gigabit switch, this is the only local connection on the router. The router has two connections the modem and the switch. The BI computer connects to the gigabit switch, the POE switch connects to the gigabit switch. No local traffic pass through the router.
Hey SouthernYankee...you have a Block diagram of that Setup? New at this and having a hard time visualizing your setup.....

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A simple network diagram. no unnecessary traffic through the router. I do not use much wifi.
My network is much more complicated that this.
Network1.jpg

Reaction score
Mine is slightly different in that I do not use VLANS, I use a separate sub-net for the IP cameras. I have more POE switches and cameras than shown but they all feed into the 8/8 POE switch and are not physically connected to the internet.

1578239083752.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Samplenhold

This was a sample diagram to answer the simple question how not to run camera traffic through the router.

Where is the inbound VPN on you network diagram. In my diagram the Router has OpenVPN.

My real network uses two nics in the BI computer completely isolation the cameras, I do not chain my POE switches, so If there is a POE switch failure I do not lose the complete network.

Reaction score
SouthernYankee

I understand that your purpose for the diagram was to answer his question. I was just supplying mine, which is a different way to do it, as an alternative. When I read the WIKI and Cliff Notes about setting the network up, it was easier for me to go the physical isolation route verses the VLAN route as I did not know anything about network software, but hardware I could understand.

My BI server has 2 NICs. Inbound is from the ISP which is the Modem/Router, which was supplied by ATT.

In your diagram, if the 16 port switch goes, everything goes. Yes, in mine, if the 8/8 POE switch goes, all of the cameras are gone. If my 16 port switch goes, internet connectivity goes, but my cameras are still recording to BI. If any of the 4/4 POE switches go, then only those cameras that are attached to that switch goes. The rest will still be up and recording to BI.

How do you set it up so that the BI server 'sees' multiple POE switches without going through another switch? So in my diagram, how would I get that 4/4 POE switch to the BI server w/o going through the 8/8 POE switch?