Good sale for BlueIris machines Dell Vostros with an i5-10400 and Windows 10 Pro

julez

n3wb
Reaction score
Wasn't real sure where to post this at. But came across it today. Thought someone in the market for a new Blueiris box might be interested.

This is a $700 machine with a promo code taking $250 off. Making it $450.

Dell Vostro 3681 small desktop with an Intel Core i5-10400, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and Windows 10 Pro.

$250.00 code is DEAL7V499 applied at checkout.

They have 35% off other models, but this seemed to be where it was at.

Screenshot_20201216-235127.png

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Looks like a good deal. I'd want to verify how many 3.5" bays and SATA ports just to see if it will support two surveillance drives. I'd bet it will.

julez

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks to have 2 SATA ports. But I'm not sure on the number of bays. The service manual isn't real clear on it.

It's got 2 DIMMs supporting up to 64GB of memory. And I think a pair of M.2 slots. So you can at least do a small boot drive and a large spinning disk.

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Page 13:
meh.PNG
1x 3,5" HDD or 2x 2,5" HDD (needs additional adapter), non-standard mainboard form factor & PSU - not recommended.

julez

n3wb
Reaction score
So basically processing power for a small-moderate deployment is there. But unless you have a NAS or secondary storage, it'll be on the small side.

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't support non-standard computer parts with your money. I own ATX tower cases older than 15 years. I've bought them second hand. They've seen many processor generations and mainboards and are still in good shape, ready for 11th Intel generation or AMD Zen 3.
Building your own computer from standard parts is very easy. Second hand CPU, cooler, mainboard and case save your hard earned money.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't support non-standard computer parts with your money. I own ATX tower cases older than 15 years. I've bought them second hand. They've seen many processor generations and mainboards and are still in good shape, ready for 11th Intel generation or AMD Zen 3.
Building your own computer from standard parts is very easy. Second hand CPU, cooler, mainboard and case save your hard earned money.
You cannot build a pc like this for that price. That said you can buy a practically new i5-8500 system for 300 bux. Again you cant build it for that price unless you steal the OS. No need to waste your hard earned money and time building like a sucker.

chaosengine

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You cannot build a pc like this for that price. That said you can buy a practically new i5-8500 system for 300 bux. Again you cant build it for that price unless you steal the OS. No need to waste your hard earned money and time building like a sucker.
That's true but these kind of proprietary systems can't be upgraded for future use and produce waste for no reason. Dell could easily produce these systems following microATX or mini-ITX standard.
For OS, you can still reuse your Windows 7 or 8 license: You Can Still Get Windows 10 for Free With a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Key

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's true but these kind of proprietary systems can't be upgraded for future use and produce waste for no reason. Dell could easily produce these systems following microATX or mini-ITX standard.
For OS, you can still reuse your Windows 7 or 8 license: You Can Still Get Windows 10 for Free With a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 Key
Why in the world would you EVER want to upgrade these things in the future. Just buy another practically new machine for 300. Again, you could never build it at that price.
You are assuming that the person has an older windows license. Also note that transferring a licence is only allowed when you originally purchase a full windows license. You cannot legally transfer an oem license from one machine to another. Also rememember that even after a few years. The 300 dollar i5-8500 machine from a known oem like HP - for example an hp elitedesk can easily be sold for 120-150 depending on specs. So rather than wasting time upgrading you can completely replace your system in a few years and your total cost of ownership is 150 bux. Try selling your used mothboard or processor for anything reasonable.

julez

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman is on point. These are cheap and deep solutions for NVRs. The idea is to be power efficient, small, cheap. Something that sits in a corner than your RDP into maybe to update every so often. Not something you bother upgrading.

And don't get me wrong. I've been building my own machines for years. I'm due for an update to my existing personal machine.

But I don't think an NVR like this necessitates building something over $500. Honestly, that's on the high end of what I'd spend. My current machine I picked up a couple years ago used with a 1yr warranty for $300. HP ProDesk SFF with an i5-6500, 8GB and a Win10 Pro license. I picked up an M.2 drive and a WD purple for it and it's been great for the 8 cams I have in place.

julez

n3wb
Reaction score
To be fair, even when you upgrade it's creating ewaste. It's not like your ATX motherboard magically ends up in a different place.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When I see these systems, I always remember this: War declared on world's growing e-waste crisis and so far it's not part of any TCO calculation.
All computers can and should be produced to be upgradable.
There’s no problem with ewaste. Moreover even if there was youwould have to be a complete fool to spend more money to save a computer case.
As I indicated before the systems are super powerful and efficient and can be used for something else if you wish several years later or you can keep using the system until it dies which could take 10 or more years. I have blue Iris systems running on PCs that are eight years old explain to me why I should’ve paid two or $300 more eight years ago so I can potentially Save a small case. Remember the
World is not coming to an end and even if you completely stop creating new waste today it would have zero effect on the global climate despite what the scam artists promote falsely.
Take the used computer and donate to a needy family. Take the 200-300 you saved and donate it to a soup kitchen or food pantry. Then take the two hours you saved an volunteer in the kitchen/pantry.

Last edited: