Good system?

Jgonz

n3wb
Reaction score
Is Lorex system NP4K4F-1612WD a good set up? It currently on sale for $1,295. Just want to know if it’s worth the price. Or is there any other 16 channel system that someone recommends?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In short no it isn't.

They shoved 8MP on a sensor designed for 2MP, so it will suffer at night.

Many people here started with Lorex and within a year or two started updating their system with better cameras.

It is much better to start slower and build based on your needs. Very rarely do 16 of the same camera fit the needs of folks.

I get the idea of more is better. I have had the all-in-one box 16 camera systems and they flat out fail at night when we need them the most.

Someone here mentioned "buy once, cry once". Better to spend the money once. I have boxes full of junk cameras that I tried and just didn't cut it.

My neighbor spent $1,3000 on his Lorex system and was underwhelmed at it's performance when a door checker came by.

My capture of the perp at 75 feet away:

1700665208097.png

His capture of the same perp at 10 feet away:

1700665257246.png

Which is better?

His system wasn't even a year old and after that event has started replacing with cameras purchased from Andy based on my recommendation and seeing my results. He is still shocked a 2MP camera performs better than his 4k cameras and he cannot figure out why - because the consumer brand uses sensors designed for 2MP and shoves 8MP on them to cater to folks seeking higher MP cameras, but those cameras need over 4 times the amount of light as a 2MP on the same size sensor!

See this thread that lists the most commonly suggested cameras based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the best overall value in terms of price and performance day and night:

A trusted member here, @EMPIRETECANDY has a website and Amazon store.

He has a sale going on right now as well:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't get caught up in the megapixel race...an 8MP/4K camera with a 1/2.8" sensor will not perform well in reduced lighting or at night. A 4K cam should have no smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor.

Ideal-sensor-size-to-megapixel.png

IMO, the best bang-for-the-buck with a great cost to performance ratio is the 4MP, 1/1.8" sensor Loryta (Dahua-OEM) as sold by @EMPIRETECANDY . He has 16 channel NVR's to go with it as well.:cool:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is Lorex system NP4K4F-1612WD a good set up? It currently on sale for $1,295. Just want to know if it’s worth the price. Or is there any other 16 channel system that someone recommends?
Sensors on camera look too small to me .. I'd look for a better kit ..

From Amazon page on this :

Lorex Technology N4K3-1612WD 16 Channel 3TB 4K Fusion NVR System with Twelve 4K (8MP) IP Dome Cameras with Listen-in Audio, 130ft Night Vision, Color Night Vision,12 Dome
8MP/4K 1/2.7" CMOS. 4K(8MP)@15fps.

1700669882551.png

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
Give a look right here on Andy's site HERE. These cams and systems are approved and tested by the members here.
Andy has support here as well as one may DIRECTLY CONTACT him right here but, remember the time shift to Hong Kong.
This system below, is 8 cams built into 4 housings! Good Luck!!