Google Chrome for downloading playback

allypally

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have upgraded (?) to Win11 and therefore lost the ability to use Internet Explorer as my console. I have not been able to successfully use MS Edge, even with IE emulator, as it continues to ask for the plugin, which I have downloaded and installed. I therefore use Google Chrome, but it has serious lag, sometimes locks up, and will not allow downloading of playback files. I run Chrome as administrator privileges.
Any suggestions on what I need to do to allow downloads?

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You do have internet explorer hidden inside edge. Biggest lie that is going around that explorer is totally gone on win11 or new win10 ver's.

Open Edge -> Settings -> in there is an option to add URL link that will be opened in IE legacy tab.

Cheers

allypally

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You do have internet explorer hidden inside edge. Biggest lie that is going around that explorer is totally gone on win11 or new win10 ver's.

Open Edge -> Settings -> in there is an option to add URL link that will be opened in IE legacy tab.

Cheers
I have the IE plugin for Edge, but when I go to my NVR IP address, It shows me that I need to install the plugin. I already have the plugin. Can you tell me exactly what needs to be changed in Edge settings?

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you try IE Tab for Chrome or Edge yet? This will work for both browsers

allypally

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes. But still had issues.
I found out that the NVR's firmware was running several earlier versions and that the latest firmware had overcome the requirements to run plugins. I therefore attempted to install the latest firmware on the NVR which bricked it. You apparently have to install firmware release by release, as opposed to jumping just to the latest version. My actions bricked the NVR.
So, I went and purchased a new NVR, which had the latest firmware and now have no issues with browsers.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I therefore attempted to install the latest firmware on the NVR which bricked it. You apparently have to install firmware release by release, as opposed to jumping just to the latest version. My actions bricked the NVR.
Updating to the NVR V4.x firmware from too old an existing firmware can cause scrambled data in the configuration database.
The fix to unbrick the NVR is to reset to factory defaults.
This will re-populate the configuration database with default values.

allypally

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I am unable to get to a stage where I can do a reset to defaults, as the machine stops at the login security stage. According to Hikvision, it needs to go back to them so they can wind back the firmware.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
There are several methods to reset to default settings that don't rely on the web GUI.
The easiest is to use the tftp updater, with the Scott Lamb python clone of the Hikvision version.
There are quite a lot of posts on here where people have got the same problem and fixed it.
I'd give you some search samples of I wasn't away and just on the phone.

allypally

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are several methods to reset to default settings that don't rely on the web GUI.
The easiest is to use the tftp updater, with the Scott Lamb python clone of the Hikvision version.
There are quite a lot of posts on here where people have got the same problem and fixed it.
I'd give you some search samples of I wasn't away and just on the phone.
Thank you. That sounds great. When you get a chance, could you send me the link to the full process? I found a few refs, but noting fully describing the procedure.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but that's for cameras as opposed to a bricked NVR, might be a bit confusing.

could you send me the link to the full process?
What model of NVR is it?
If it's a higher-end NVR such as a 77xx or 96xx series, it may have a DB9 RS232 interface on the back panel, which would make the fix quite easy.
But for most Hikvision NVRs the tftp updater method works OK and isn't as daunting as it may seem.
Lots of forum members have done it.

Here is a recent example of an NVR being recovered from the same problem that you have experienced :
Any questions - just post them here and members will be happy to help.