Google Chrome with Hikvision cameras, can it be made to work?

arw01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not a fan at all of IE, and it seems to have stopped working with live view on the hikvision NVR.

Google chrome won't allow the webconnects plug in to run (is there a real HTML 5 version that works maybe)

and don't really want to install a 3rd browser and open up another hack vector if I can help it.

ivms-4200 seems to have some issues from time to time as well, so not sure that is a real option yet.

Alan

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no, Chrome has killed NPAPI Plugins forever.. it will not work.

HTML5 cannot stream RTSP Video Natively, so dont hold your breath.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When will the Hikvision fix for this come out... I've got Mar-2018 for the first release which will also bugger up half your camera.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IE and Safari will still support NPAPI plugins, for now anyhow..

Use iVMS Apps instead of browsers.. thats the fix.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah I use iVMS on the Mac. Can also easily see what CPU it's using which is nice.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The death of flash is the reason, flash is dead so this insecure and problematic bastard child can finally be put out to pasture.

Vault

n3wb
Reaction score
R.I.P NPAPI. It's a bummer that we're not able to watch in chrome but it's OK because of security reasons. IE, FF and safari will get rid of it later on.

I always check my stream in VLC.

Why isn't IE working for you right now?

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Using browser is a crutial feature for IP Cameras.

Don't you think biggest player Hikvision will provide new plugins?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
new plugins wont help when there is no plugin system to use anymore...

browser developers dont give 2 flying fucks about IP cameras.. see: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=25573 (Status: WontFix)

security is the focus w/the web in the post-snowden era, and browsers are becoming isolated islands with no external hooks as a result.. if its not getting native support built into the browser, its not going to fly.

RTSP is the defacto standard for IP cameras, Ive seen some RTSP to HTML5 conversions, but they require additional processing thats offloaded on the camera.. they will have to make new generation cameras with more resources.. wont be a firmware update to fix it.. and its going to add costs.

Native Apps are the future stop-gap until the industry adapts.. but this is not an industry that adapts quickly in any form, if they made iphones you'd get a new one every decade.

Last edited by a moderator:

Defender666

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't agree with this, there are still other protocols to transmit video through HTML5. Also there is still possiblilty to develope native chrome plugin and native firefox plugins.

You don't need rtsp to transmit ipcam video. There is HLS for instance. For the camera it would not cost more ressources. Still firmware possible.

This all comes down to industry trying to kill FLASH and JAVA, for the faviour of HTML5. Finally why not leave the user the option to activate a plugin.

Vault

n3wb
Reaction score
I think what he meant to say is that it's quite sure the manufacturers won't upgrade firmware for all cameras for this. They will most likely only implement it on new models.

Are there any known manufacturers which have implemented new ways of transmitting?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Chrome and Firefox wont let you write plugins, do you mean Extensions? yeah they dont have the ability to fire up an external binary and proccess the video.. they are not plugins, they can only EXTEND whats there natively.. Its been dead on Chrome for a good while now, lots of new models and software updates out since then.. where are these new plugins at? (hint: they cant be made)

All NVR's use RTSP for accessing IP Camera Video, OnVif depends heavily on it.. and thats what everything has been designed for.

HTML5 does a shit job of real time video, it was designed to play files.. not real-time streams.

Your not getting any firmware or plugins for cameras you already bought, pretty much every camera on the market today will be fucked.. however I think I recall seeing someone report that newer SirCam's do HTML5 but I am not sure on that.

Vault

n3wb
Reaction score
Chrome and Firefox wont let you write plugins, do you mean Extensions? yeah they dont have the ability to fire up an external binary and proccess the video.. they are not plugins, they can only EXTEND whats there natively.

All NVR's use RTSP for accessing IP Camera Video, OnVif depends heavily on it.. and thats what everything has been designed for.

HTML5 does a shit job of real time video, it was designed to play files.. not real-time streams.

Your not getting any firmware or plugins for cameras you already bought, pretty much every camera on the market today will be fucked.. however I think I recall seeing someone report that newer SirCam's do HTML5 but I am not sure on that.
Would be nice if we could get our hands on a new SirCam (Sricam?) to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

okosub

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i seem to be having an issue doing playback using safari. it used to work and just tried this today after having updated to the most recent FW and it said playback failed. I am able to view in ivms on ipad so i know the video is there and unit is operational. any thoughts? i should add it works just fine on IE from a Windows 10 box so its something with Safari and I'm not sure what gives.