Google/Gmail turned off insecure app access

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Everyone;

Does anyone have a work around for email notifications when using gmail? My daily photos stopped being sent and when trying to debug it, I found out that Google turned off access for insecure apps.

Untitled.png

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess I should have posted this in troubleshooting. bp2008, have you confirmed that it's working with OAuth? I'll have to upgrade to get that feature.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't use gmail for sending anymore (I set up my own domain with a local server). But I know OAuth works for Gmail from Thunderbird.

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, thanks! While we're on the topic of email.... Does anyone know of a command line email client which is compatible with gmail??

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How many threads are going to be created about this that can simply be found by searching for GMAIL in the search tool LOL :lmao:

Three options:

• Change email provider
  • If using Blue Iris update to latest version that has OAUTH capabilities
  • Set up two factor verification and create an app password

Last edited:

Spooling

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For whatever reason OAUTH didn't work for me a couple versions back, so I created an app password in gmail and that works fine.
Just curious, if you create an app password, can any email client use that password to send an email? I've been looking for a replacement for a simple command line based mailer program that I used to notify me of power outages. I'd like to continue to use gmail if I can.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious, if you create an app password, can any email client use that password to send an email? I've been looking for a replacement for a simple command line based mailer program that I used to notify me of power outages. I'd like to continue to use gmail if I can.
Yes it should work.