Got an installer quote - recommending Lorex

denovo

n3wb
Reaction score
To run a test rig, I need a NVR correct?

Also how do you run a wire in to the house at night ? You leave the door or window open?

How do you test second story locations?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nope you put an SD card in the camera so you can play back video from it.

Run the cable thru the bottom of the garage door - there is usually enough space in the concrete joint or the edge of the door to squeeze it thru.

String it up to the 2nd floor or leave a window cracked a bit.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When I tested things at night, I did them pretty early so I didn't have to worry about someone trying to break in, etc... The test doesn't really need to take very long. Get the camera set where you want it, walk around for a few minutes from different angles etc.. and off to the next spot.

I cracked the window open just enough and put the camera in, let the window back down to sort of lightly wedge it in, for a couple views to see if I liked/wanted them.

Reaction score
To run a test rig, I need a NVR correct?

Also how do you run a wire in to the house at night ? You leave the door or window open?

How do you test second story locations?
Test rig/NVR: You could do like @wittaj stated, use an SD card. But I find that tedious. A simple POE switch or a POE injector for power, then connected to a Windows PC. You can use Blue Iris, which I recommend instead of an NVR. But if you are married to the NVR idea, you could download Blue Iris and use it in demo mode just to make the recordings. Or you can use SmartPSS to view and make recordings.

As others have stated, no need to run it all night. Once it is as dark as it is going to get, do the testing. Then bring it all in. I have done that more times than I can remember.

I have a few overview cams in second story windows. I just set them on the windowsill. You might have to get creative with those heights. Like using wood clamps on a tall ladder. Mount cam to a 1x4 and clamp that to an extension ladder at the proper height, or to an open window, or the facia. But really, for those cams that high up, you are not really needing to test it for IDing a face as you are way to high too do that anyway.

denovo

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have a longgg driveway. There is a tree almost at the end. It is a large tree and I can put a camera on it looking down at the driveway. I currently have ring outdoor solar there, but it just shows if there is movement. I cannot make out license plates or faces. For this particular location, I would like a solar wifi.
Any suggestions?

would any of the reolink battery powered security cams work?Reolink: Global Innovator in Smart Home Security and Camera Solutions

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have a longgg driveway. There is a tree almost at the end. It is a large tree and I can put a camera on it looking down at the driveway. I currently have ring outdoor solar there, but it just shows if there is movement. I cannot make out license plates or faces. For this particular location, I would like a solar wifi.
Any suggestions?

would any of the reolink battery powered security cams work?Reolink: Global Innovator in Smart Home Security and Camera Solutions
Yeah, Reolink will do the same - let you know what happened, but everything will be motion blur city. Reolink won't actually adhere to user settings, especially shutter speed.

A ring or reolink camera WILL NEVER be able to read plates, especially at night.

You have to setup the camera to get plates, but at night that is all it will get.

This is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. We need the fast shutter to capture the plate and take advantage of the reflective properties of the plate. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1675078711764.png

At that shutter speed you will not pick up the outline of the car, people walking by, etc. Just like at a shutter speed to capture people at night, the plate will be all white due to the reflective properties of the plate.

See the LPR subforum for lots of examples.

denovo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Are there any WiFi solar/battery that fit the bill?

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
yes. Garage is on the side facing the driveway. But about a 100 feet back I would guess from the driveway/road entrance.
If your driveway length is only about 100', then maybe a IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E might be more cost-effective. Many here use it for license plate reading (LPR), but it can be used for other tasks as well.

@looney2ns did a review of it:

denovo

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry I just walked the length and it is over 250 feet from garage to the end of driveway

Attachments

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Heres is my infamous Condo capture zone. 1 cam gets the scene in overview with color, and the other has one job. Plates. Camera models are in the frame.
Although now I run B&W nighttime settings 24/7 for the LPR so it doesn't " focus hunt" switching from day to night.
If you look at the time stamp, you can see which overview is matched to which Plate.
Also dpicted are some captures from another great Bullet cam. the 5442-Z4e. not as long distance of a zoom as the z12 but it has a great sensor and gets plates day and night without much tuning.
The 5442-Z4 is 7 Pontoon Boats away from the cars in the field of view. ( boat math) I have a 20 footer sitting in the back yard. thats my estimate and I'm thinkin 20x7 pontoons = 140 feet.

1686814035389.png
1686814054201.pngScreenshot 2021-10-31 173848.pngScreenshot 2021-10-31 173929.pngScreenshot 2022-01-17 164652.pngScreenshot 2022-01-17 164724.pngScreenshot 2021-09-17 110011.pngScreenshot 2021-09-17 110332.png1686814035389.pngScreenshot 2022-06-17 003532.pngScreenshot 2022-06-17 003728.png
1686814334485.png
1686814364736.png
1686814420888.png
1686814549058.png

Attachments

Last edited:

denovo

n3wb
Reaction score
That 250ft better use a 1/1.8cmos 25x PTZ normal cam will not work, I think the place will be dark in the night?
daytime the z12e will be ok.
there are lights on the house which I turn on , but they don’t illuminate the end of the driveway

the ring camera on left hand tree in the picture has a motion sensor light that comes on at night