Got my front door/delivery cam up and wondering Face vs Human detection on 5442

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I currently have face detection and works fine, but wondering if human is any better as it can log more info. Is there anyway besides snapshots/email to back up to like a FTP for off site/safe keeping?
Also, I can see the AI logging into the NVR but is there any to see it in SmartPSS?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You will find that with a hoodie or looking down that just using the face detection will miss them. I go with the human AI.

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You will find that with a hoodie or looking down that just using the face detection will miss them. I go with the human AI.
I can't figure out how to enable or get human detection to work. Tried IVS/SMD human and an intrusion box, but nothing shows in human ai search.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you set up the human detection and IVS within the camera gui or within the NVR setup?

Use either IVS or SMD, but not both. Most will prefer IVS.

Is the NVR AI capable?

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you set up the human detection and IVS within the camera gui or within the NVR setup?

Use either IVS or SMD, but not both. Most will prefer IVS.

Is the NVR AI capable?
5216-4KS2E with 4.0

I didn't know one or the other wondered about the SMD error/conflict.
I normally set in the camera and not the NVR as it doesn't always seem to take if set on the NVR, but works sometimes.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Did you set up Smart Plan for IVS first and then go to IVS and then you will see a check box for human.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi,

I've tested this quite a bit recently.

First, Face detection AND SMD doesn't work together on the 5442. You need to choose either.
Like @wittaj says, FD is very easy to fool - hide your face and the camera will not trigger any alarm event.

Better to go with SMD with/without IVS.
I have had less false positives running SMD with IVS off.
It works fine running with IVS but it seem that the processes is more busy running both so ends up in false alarms.

BTW, I just hooked up my 5442 to my 5216 so check if it reports to "Human Detection".
When running cameras with the Smart plan Video Metadata the results can be found in Human Detection, not sure about SMD...

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Quick feedback, I went out and tested now.

Running SMD with IVS off on the 5442, went pass the camera and alarm was triggered.
To find the recording/event on the 5216, go to AI, SMD - search - Voila!

Human Detection only displays events from cameras running Video Metadata (as far as I have learned and tested).

Video Metadata is available on the 7-Series (pumped up 5442) and most "better" PTZs.

Look forward to here about your progress!

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you set up Smart Plan for IVS first and then go to IVS and then you will see a check box for human.
I thought I did or normally did human and not vehicle will have to check after work.

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Quick feedback, I went out and tested now.

Running SMD with IVS off on the 5442, went pass the camera and alarm was triggered.
To find the recording/event on the 5216, go to AI, SMD - search - Voila!

Human Detection only displays events from cameras running Video Metadata (as far as I have learned and tested).

Video Metadata is available on the 7-Series (pumped up 5442) and most "better" PTZs.

Look forward to here about your progress!
Well I turned off face detection and used SMD and I do get human under SMD AI, but only 1 out of 4 actually have any video. So not sure if I was too fast or what. I'll let it go awhile and see, but I may have better luck with face detection for whatever reason, like angle/light I dunno.

Reaction score
Related question to face detection. Can it be used to identify a specific person to send off an alert to home automation? Or is it "hay...it's a face so let me start recording' type alert similar to Human detection?

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Related question to face detection. Can it be used to identify a specific person to send off an alert to home automation? Or is it "hay...it's a face so let me start recording' type alert similar to Human detection?
Yes, if you have a AI-NVR or a Face Recognition camera.
You can have a database of your "friends" and trigger an alarm output (that can be used as a auxiliary signal) on a positive face recognition.
You can also have an action if there is a "stranger", note that a stranger is everyone that is note recognised, it can be yourself if its a poor picture vs the reference picture.

Reaction score
Yes, if you have a AI-NVR or a Face Recognition camera.
You can have a database of your "friends" and trigger an alarm output (that can be used as a auxiliary signal) on a positive face recognition.
You can also have an action if there is a "stranger", note that a stranger is everyone that is note recognised, it can be yourself if its a poor picture vs the reference picture.
hmm...may look into this for future...cool toys :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't spend that money @Holbs - BI is almost there already LOL (it kinda is now if you tweak some things LOL).

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I turned off face detection and used SMD and I do get human under SMD AI, but only 1 out of 4 actually have any video. So not sure if I was too fast or what. I'll let it go awhile and see, but I may have better luck with face detection for whatever reason, like angle/light I dunno.
Try IVS tripwire or intrusion and compare with and without SMD activated,IVS is pretty sensitive and rarely miss the target.
When setting up IVS you can also modify target size to avoid cats to trigger - this can reduce the false alarms alot :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But you should first try IVS with no min size and let the camera try first. Only add a minimum size if you are getting false triggers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, facial recognition in our setting is a toy right now LOL - too many variables and light conditions, etc., but in a work or retail setting with the right amount of light and the ability to have the right resources and camera locations, it can work very well.

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Try IVS tripwire or intrusion and compare with and without SMD activated,IVS is pretty sensitive and rarely miss the target.
When setting up IVS you can also modify target size to avoid cats to trigger - this can reduce the false alarms alot :)
Ok, I setup intrusion with SMD. SMD was getting more but not long enough maybe 5 sec max unless there was more than one person. Face detection was getting like 15 sec or more.
I'm just looking for a way to not have to scrub through footage and to be able to find a quick starting point in needed.