Got this POE+ Switch-Want to Test- Ideas

AP514

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey All, I just Sniped this POE+ Switch from EBAY...$53 ( NETGEAR 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports 380W (GS728TPPv2) )
I want to test it with maybe this ? PoE Tester Inline Tester Power Over Ethernet Voltage Current Tester Test for POE Testing, Network Cable Continuity Checking, DC Power & Switch Loop-Back Test PoE Detector by NOYAFA: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific for POE power.
What can I use to test each port for data ?

Any suggestions for testing would be GREAT.....

AP514

bradner

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey All, I just Sniped this POE+ Switch from EBAY...$53 ( NETGEAR 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports 380W (GS728TPPv2) )
I want to test it with maybe this ? PoE Tester Inline Tester Power Over Ethernet Voltage Current Tester Test for POE Testing, Network Cable Continuity Checking, DC Power & Switch Loop-Back Test PoE Detector by NOYAFA: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific for POE power.
What can I use to test each port for data ?

Any suggestions for testing would be GREAT.....

AP514
Wow, what a deal. Check for the latest firmware first. Slow way would be plug in a few cams at a time

AP514

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow, I just looked at the firmware update page and it says that I have to register the Switch ( NOTE: This new firmware release requires product registration to unlock full access to the local browser UI. )

I sure hope I do not have problems.

Oh and the reason I got the switch for such a great deal is some Yahoo...ripped out 2 of the SPF ports. I sure hope the other 2 are working because I need them for a 100' fiber patch cable I want to run to my garage.
(fiber due to the fact they will run in same conduit as 120v wiring)

bradner

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, I just looked at the firmware update page and it says that I have to register the Switch ( NOTE: This new firmware release requires product registration to unlock full access to the local browser UI. )

I sure hope I do not have problems.

Oh and the reason I got the switch for such a great deal is some Yahoo...ripped out 2 of the SPF ports. I sure hope the other 2 are working because I need them for a 100' fiber patch cable I want to run to my garage.
(fiber due to the fact they will run in same conduit as 120v wiring)
Shouldn't be a big deal registering as Netgear is just wanting your email to spam you LOL...

AP514

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I hope so...Switch does not show for a few days...just gearing up for it.

BTW I have not purchased a Cam yet so. I guess i will have to test the data another way..Ideas ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL. Granted I have only miniscule experience with SFP modules but I find it amazing that someone could accidentally rip the socket off the board.