Got this POE+ Switch-Want to Test- Ideas

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey All, I just Sniped this POE+ Switch from EBAY...$53 ( NETGEAR 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports 380W (GS728TPPv2) )
I want to test it with maybe this ? PoE Tester Inline Tester Power Over Ethernet Voltage Current Tester Test for POE Testing, Network Cable Continuity Checking, DC Power & Switch Loop-Back Test PoE Detector by NOYAFA: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific for POE power.
What can I use to test each port for data ?

Any suggestions for testing would be GREAT.....

AP514

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey All, I just Sniped this POE+ Switch from EBAY...$53 ( NETGEAR 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports 380W (GS728TPPv2) )
I want to test it with maybe this ? PoE Tester Inline Tester Power Over Ethernet Voltage Current Tester Test for POE Testing, Network Cable Continuity Checking, DC Power & Switch Loop-Back Test PoE Detector by NOYAFA: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific for POE power.
What can I use to test each port for data ?

Any suggestions for testing would be GREAT.....

AP514
Wow, what a deal. Check for the latest firmware first. Slow way would be plug in a few cams at a time

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow, I just looked at the firmware update page and it says that I have to register the Switch ( NOTE: This new firmware release requires product registration to unlock full access to the local browser UI. )

I sure hope I do not have problems.

Oh and the reason I got the switch for such a great deal is some Yahoo...ripped out 2 of the SPF ports. I sure hope the other 2 are working because I need them for a 100' fiber patch cable I want to run to my garage.
(fiber due to the fact they will run in same conduit as 120v wiring)

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, I just looked at the firmware update page and it says that I have to register the Switch ( NOTE: This new firmware release requires product registration to unlock full access to the local browser UI. )

I sure hope I do not have problems.

Oh and the reason I got the switch for such a great deal is some Yahoo...ripped out 2 of the SPF ports. I sure hope the other 2 are working because I need them for a 100' fiber patch cable I want to run to my garage.
(fiber due to the fact they will run in same conduit as 120v wiring)
Shouldn't be a big deal registering as Netgear is just wanting your email to spam you LOL...

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I hope so...Switch does not show for a few days...just gearing up for it.

BTW I have not purchased a Cam yet so. I guess i will have to test the data another way..Ideas ?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL. Granted I have only miniscule experience with SFP modules but I find it amazing that someone could accidentally rip the socket off the board.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The modules do stick out far enough for you to easily get a grip on them without pulling on a cable.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well the switch has Arrived. WOOT ! ! It Looks great and I will Start testing it out today.(with my Limited Skills)
Also 2 -(Factory Sealed new) AGM731F SFP Transceiver 1000Base-SX for the opitcal cables arrived ($20 each).....Another Smoking Deal.
I have no way of testing the port until I buy and run the 30 meter cable into my garage switch( a much later purchase )

Going to plug the Switch into my Computer and load the updated firmware (OFFLINE) If needed..then test the POE ports with my tester(post #1)
After that I think I will plug my laptop into the switch and see if my Main Computer can ping it 1 port at a time.

Anyone have any other Ideas on how to test the Switch out Feel free to let me know.

AP514

Resized_20200403_073007.jpegResized_20200403_073019.jpegResized_20200403_073145.jpeg

Last edited:

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
UPDATE:
Well, I Loaded the New Firmware and all is working GREAT. I tested the ports and I am getting 1G on ALL 24 ports. POE tester is showing good Voltages on every port.(that little tester was worth it)

The SFP Port looked to be lose (not sure if the Front pins are to hold the coupler in place or are grounds to board. No way to test it ATM so I will just worry about it after I get the main house Cams up and running.

ALL in ALL a Great purchase for $53.........

Now to pick my First Cam to experiment on. Thinking of Going with a VariFocal Dahua...IPC 2431T-ZS or IPC-T2231T-ZS

Thoughts ? ? comments ? ?

AP514

Last edited:

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
UPDATE : #2
I purchased 115 Feet of OM3 LC-LC Fiber optic Cable $29 and Gave the remaining SFP Ports a quick test.
Woot ! ! Fiber cable showing 1G Connection on both SFP ports.....

Now to fish Fiber cable thru blown in Insulation in walls to standoff going into garage.

Reaction score
Does that switch have significant fan noise? it seems like there are some that have bad fans too-- wondering if you had any issues with yours like that.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did have a little bit of Noise at first. I figured it might being used.. But I put some 3-1(Blue Label)Oil on the Fan shafts and they are not bad at all. ((You can use just about any oil.) (Do not ever use WD-40))
Fan Lube was actually very easy to do..removed the screws holding fans. Peeled back the Silver label a bit and added a small amount of oil (2 drops) on the shaft. (Some fans have a rubber plug under the label-to remove)
Spun fan a few times by hand and let it sit 5 minutes so oil could seep down shaft and then spun again. Put label back down and installed screws.
Very good on noise now..Do not know the Db on mine and can not find it in spec's ATM..........
(A lot of UTube Videos on Fan lube...)

I see you pulled the trigger on that switch.......Data shows 37Db.

Last edited: