Gotta get one and jet ... : "Jetson One - Official Launch"

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Basically a VERY big drone, somewhat. Looks like great fun, but (as usual) I wonder:
  • Why it appears a bit jerky-looking at 2:08 (as viewed from front) and at 2:18 (view from cockpit).
  • I wonder what happens when you lose at least one propeller (or "rotating thrust device") ?
  • I wonder to what degree will the FAA get involved (that comes with its own can of worms) ?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The FAA is going to extensively study the practicality and safety of this vehicle before it takes mainstream to the skies. It could be years before we see this being fully adopted as a means of transportation.

Basically a VERY big drone, somewhat. Looks like great fun, but (as usual) I wonder:
  • Why it appears a bit jerky-looking at 2:08 (as viewed from front) and at 2:18 (view from cockpit).
  • I wonder what happens when you lose at least one propeller (or "rotating thrust device") ?
  • I wonder to what degree will the FAA get involved (that comes with its own can of worms) ?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
If this was to be done and pass basic safety and regulations I can see a huge lists of To Do before it ever becomes public ready.

- License: I’m sure some kind of testing and level of knowledge would be required like for a motor vehicle.

- Insurance: I can’t see very many people finding a underwriter to provide coverage. Death and property damage would be a given.

- Aircraft: Whelps if history is any indicator any flying vehicle would have to show and prove it could still land with 50% loss of propulsion. Keep in mind if any of the front / back sets of propellers fail your going down and will just die.

Runtime will have to have a minimum air time based on the worst case altitude and headwinds. An emergency reserve battery system like any other aircraft must be present and operate separately from the main and can only be used in an emergency and hence will impact its mileage / distance covered.

This leads to redundancy of various systems from gyro, fly by wire, how the wiring is run etc. It doesn’t even address the need for a very expensive black box or GPS location device and tracking.

Super cool but long ways to go before any of us lays hands on one!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Assuming all of the basic elements of decent runtime and safety is in place. I can see this used in restricted applications like military, rescue, cinematographer etc.