gps tracking device

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some advice on a GPS tracking device, one that actually works accurately. My car was broken into about 10 days ago and ive been on the defense.

My car got broken into again this morning. Im steamed.

I need a small device that can be placed in a bag/box such that if and when a bag or box gets stolen it can be tracked.

Until my cameras arrive and I install them, this is what I want.

And is there a messageboard or forum where they discuss gps devices and such?
any help would be appreciated

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A gps tracker is easy to put in and run. There could be issues finding one that can run off the internal car wiring (outside of the acc circuit) for if the car is moved without being turned on, ie towed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some advice on a GPS tracking device, one that actually works accurately. My car was broken into about 10 days ago and ive been on the defense.

My car got broken into again this morning. Im steamed.

I need a small device that can be placed in a bag/box such that if and when a bag or box gets stolen it can be tracked.

Until my cameras arrive and I install them, this is what I want.

And is there a messageboard or forum where they discuss gps devices and such?
any help would be appreciated
Yes, this samsung lte tracker https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SmartThings-SM-V110AZWAATT-Tracker-Device/dp/B07FCTF698?mnsid=mbnx33-20&tag=mbnx33-20&ascsubtag=UUacUdUnU69456YYwYg#customerReviews
You can also use Tile, however, it will require another tile user to pass it so it can report the location as they are bluetooth.
Ultimately youll likely be out the tracker + whatever they stole as it will be dumped. Regular cameras wont help prevent theft. If the car is in your driveway, you need something to scare of the thieves like a driveway alarm or a camera that sounds an alarm.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

taz420nj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If they're not stealing the car, there is basically nothing that's not going to cost a lot of money and really not do anything for you. The problem is anything that can give you a GPS fix needs some way to transmit that location back to you. That means (assuming you are not a ham and can't use APRS) that you will need to attach the device to a data plan. Also while these devices can be small, they are not "movie bug" small. You're talking a black plastic box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. When they get around the corner and go through the bag, guess what's the first thing they're going to toss in the bushes?

I can't say that if I were in your situation that a pepper bomb wouldn't be at the front of my thought process. It IS a commercial product (basically an electrically fired device that empties a can of OC into the intruder's face) but depending on your jurisdiction that might be construed as a bodily harm booby trap, so do your homework first. If that's not your cup of tea, you might consider installing one of these under your seat, activated when the alarm goes off. Its got zero warm up time and plenty of output to densely fill the cabin in seconds... If they can't see it, they can't steal it.

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Buy an old iPhone, wire it to the car, hide it under the rear seat, then Find My iPhone.”

taz420nj

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Buy an old iPhone, wire it to the car, hide it under the rear seat, then Find My iPhone.”
The car isn't what's being stolen. They're breaking into the car and stealing things out of it. And again something like that isn't going to work if the phone isn't activated. Unless they're stupid enough to actually keep the phone and connect it to their wifi.

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There are devices that you can buy with no subscription charges....bu you need to run the tracking software at home, ie traccar/gpsgate. But you need to get a device with a battery if you want impact detection etc (which is triggered when car off + someone trying to open it). Also you need to pay attention to the cellular frequencies....ie I saw this one linked to, but it's only GPRS - which in my country is mostly turned off.