GPU vs Quicksync

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm considering/wanting to upgrade the CPU on my BI server (currently an old Intel 3770S) to a Ryzen, but would obviously lose the Quicksync.
So if I did this, is there any way to even roughly calculate what the lowest level GPU I would need to install into the system to provide the same effective hardware acceleration as is being provided by the Intel Quicksync?
If it turns out that I need something either fairly expensive or power hungry for a GPU to compensate, then this would completely change my plans - I'd be looking instead at a new Intel based system....but this would mean new motherboard, new CPU, new RAM, reinstalling Windows.....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you’re not already using the new sub stream feature you might want to try it before upgrading you may not need to upgrade at all

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did not know about this! Working on it now.
Discrepancy though looking at the instructions here:

In my Cams Network IP config section, under the "Main Stream" value, I don't have a "Params" section. I'm running 5.3.6.4
In fact, the whole section is labeled differently than what is shown in that How-To.
The section referred to looks to have been re-labed as "Stream Profiles"

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is my opinion that Nvidia hardware acceleration for Blue Iris on a high end AMD Ryzen platform is a pure waste of time and energy. It'll use more power, not less, and you'll likely run out of memory bandwidth before exhausting the CPU's processing capabilities anyway.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Did not know about this! Working on it now.
Discrepancy though looking at the instructions here:

In my Cams Network IP config section, under the "Main Stream" value, I don't have a "Params" section. I'm running 5.3.6.4
In fact, the whole section is labeled differently than what is shown in that How-To.
The section referred to looks to have been re-labed as "Stream Profiles"
I will update the instructions for the latest BI version.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay...seems like the new setup for sub streams has been made super simple. :)
I have them all configured except for my one pesky Hik 2432 box cam. I set up the substream and I lose the video until I disable it again. Working now. That old wimpy little cam seems to have just taken longer to re-establish.
Also need to figure out what is going on with the dual 4231. When I setup the substream on both 'cams', both preview videos show the same camera view. Is this dual-cam hijacking the sub-stream channel in order to use it to pass along the video from the other lens?

Issue I'm seeing now though is that the frame rate for the preview videos can't be changed. Some set themselves to 30FPS, others 25....and when I go in to the Video tab and modify them appropriately, the changes don't stick.Found the issue for this. In the auto-populated substream for my 2MP Dahua's, it set the subtype value to '2'...when it needed to be '1'. (Didn't even realize that the those cams supported to sub-streams.

So after all that, my system went from about a total of 500'ish MP/s to about 100MP/s.
But....my overall CPU usage is pretty much EXACTLY the same.

Last edited:

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will update the instructions for the latest BI version.
Yep....looks like you already have the info about the Dahua subtype numbers and how they need to be set. What's weird is that it seems only my 2MP Dahuas set the subtype value to '2' for the substream. The other Dahuas correctly made the subtype value '1' for the substream string.
Still curious after the drastic reduction in MP/s that I'm seeing basically 0% drop in CPU.