Graphics card options on PC

easttnemc

n3wb
Reaction score
All other things being equal, given the choice of graphics cards, which would everyone suggest and why?

AMD Radeon Pro (WX2100 or WX3200 or WX5100)
nVIDIA Quadro (P620 or P1000 or P2200)

I realize they would all likely be way overkill for a BI server, but those are the options on some systems that are available to me.

Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is your BI CPU processor? Is the purpose of the graphics card to process BI video, or is it to display to the monitor ?

easttnemc

n3wb
Reaction score
it would be an I9 processor (again, probably overkill) so I would use the Intel GPU. The graphics card would be to drive the display.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
it would be an I9 processor (again, probably overkill) so I would use the Intel GPU. The graphics card would be to drive the display.
You don't need a GPU, infact if you add a a GPU, you may need a dongle or other tricks to get CPU Hardware decoding working correcty.
If you do need a GPU, consider the nvidia not because it's better but supported by other tools such as DeepStack GPU used with AI Tools.
I have a $10 Nvidia GPU (no display connected) and it's only used by Deepstack < 4% CPU usage with 6 Deepstack instances.
I have 12 cameras most are 4k running all running from a 4 year old i7 (re-furb) < 40% CPU usage, plus some VM's. There is also the Wiki on this site that gives some good hardware recommendations.

easttnemc

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, now you have my curiosity up....I have been in IT for nearly 30 years but have no idea what you mean regarding a "dongle or other trick"...
Can you, or someone else, expand on that or point me to more info.
Thanks

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Some people have had issues running a headless PC without a VDU connected so they use a dongle type device to which fools or emulates a VDU being connected.