Great deal or Run away?

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found a 800 G4 local and he wants $200. No OS and 4gb ram. Has an I5-8500.
20210213_235159.jpg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if it is a business elitedesk, with a good case that is a fair deal. You will need to upgrade the memory to at least 8GB, but 16GB would be better. You will need at least 120GB SSD for the OS and BI. Also you will need to add at least a WD purple 4TB for recordings.

The OS may be available for free. try Windows 10 clean install "microsoft media creation tool" . I do not know what a valid windows 10 pro costs.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if it is a business elitedesk, with a good case that is a fair deal. You will need to upgrade the memory to at least 8GB, but 16GB would be better. You will need at least 120GB SSD for the OS and BI. Also you will need to add at least a WD purple 4TB for recordings.

The OS may be available for free. try Windows 10 clean install "microsoft media creation tool" . I do not know what a valid windows 10 pro costs.
He sent me pictures and also said that the OS is embedded on the board, It's also a Mini Tower.

Attachments

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it looks big enough to add an SSD and an internal drive. That will work. You need to check on the memory price, always use an even number of memory cards. Use two 8gb cards, instead of one 16 GB card.

I do not understand "that the OS is imbedded on the board".

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
That's what HP is calling the SFF model. I'm pretty sure those units are licensed to run W/10 Pro, not sure if the serial key is embedded in the bios, but it's worth trying. People on here say go to Microsofts website and use the media creation tool. It's only a great deal if you can get the OS without paying for it. You'll want/need an NVMe drive and more Ram. If you already have a 2.5" SSD drive laying around you could get started with that for Windows. But you give up one of the 3 SATA ports that way. I just implemented the exact same machine yesterday, and its working very well.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it looks big enough to add an SSD and an internal drive. That will work. You need to check on the memory price, always use an even number of memory cards. Use two 8gb cards, instead of one 16 GB card.

I do not understand "that the OS is imbedded on the board".
He mentioned that during the setup,it w0uld find that the PC has a key and activate it.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's what HP is calling the SFF model. I'm pretty sure those units are licensed to run W/10 Pro, not sure if the serial key is embedded in the bios, but it's worth trying. People on here say go to Microsofts website and use the media creation tool. It's only a great deal if you can get the OS without paying for it. You'll want/need an NVMe drive and more Ram. If you already have a 2.5" SSD drive laying around you could get started with that for Windows. But you give up one of the 3 SATA ports that way. I just implemented the exact same machine yesterday, and its working very well.
it has a 256gb NVME in it. Thanks, I wasn't aware thats there version of a SFF

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks like Crucial 16gb 2x8 gb is around $80. I've not looked at other brands.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

All HP computers and tablets shipped with Windows 10 will activate automatically when connected to the internet. If you install a different version of Windows 10, the system might need to reactivate Windows. There might also be situations when Windows requires reactivation even though the product has already been activated.
The edition of Windows 10 can be changed by inputting a new Product Key, for example, going from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro. The Product Key could be obtained by buying a retail kit from a store or online. When the new Product Key is entered, the system will reactivate using that new Product Key.

Scooby7274

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4TB WD purple is around $90 it seems. So total around $370 with the cost of Ram and WD. So should I grab it? How do the pictures look? Seem to be just scratches.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I think at $200 it’s a great deal, I think there’s only room for a single full size hard disk inside so make sure you buy the largest hard drive and then the next one up to what you’ll think you might need

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think at $200 it’s a great deal, I think there’s only room for a single full size hard disk inside so make sure you buy the largest hard drive and then the next one up to what you’ll think you might need
Da Da Dah! 2-3.5"bays also a 2.5" bay hiding beneath the left full size bay. 2 free SATA ports on board. 1 NVMe ssd onboard slot, the other is also an empty slot, not sure if thats for Optane or a second NVMe.

Attachments