Greetings from a BlueIris noobe in Las Vegas

BillRitz

n3wb
Reaction score
As an introduction, I have a Dahua 16-ch POE NVR with 14 Sony 3MP cameras plugged in. I could never get the NVR to initialize more than 12 at a time; I'd get a timeout error. Some say it's bandwidth; that the cameras are 3MP and the Dahua will only init 16 when they're 2MP. Could be, but I'm not going to replace them all now. Also, I could never get the motion detection on the NVR working. I'm told that Dahua will only do that with their (Dahua/Hikvision) cameras. Again, at this point, the Sony cameras are there to stay.

So, I've decided to change solutions. I've acquired a 16 port "smart" POE switch that supports the 802.3 af/at POE spec. and a copy of Blue Iris. I've got a separate Win7 computer to run it on. I've got a cable modem going into a router, and my main computer plugged into the router. I also have a gigabit switch plugged into the router, and I plan on plugging both the Blue Iris and the up-link port from the camera switch into two ports from that. Will that work? Then I'll plug in 2 cameras into the POE switch and try to get them working. After that I'll attack motion detection, port forwarding and remote visibility, etc.

Anybody who has information on this kind of setup that you think might be helpful, let me know.

Anybody out there with 12 cameras or less want a slightly used rackmount Dahua 4416? <grin>

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure to study the BI help file that is builtin.
Basically, unless you are viewing cameras when away from home, you dont want the cam traffic going through the router.

Ideally, plug all cams into the POE switch, and then also plug the BI computer into that same switch.
Then run one cable from the POE switch to the router.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:welcome:
1)What are the spec on the computer CPU, memory , video (card or motherboard) ?
2) are you running headless ?

Your connection plan will work. It keeps the local camera traffic off the router. A general rule never run local traffic through the router. My router connects to the modem and a netgear 16 port switch, that is it.

You do not need a smart switch, high quality POE switch will work. See PoE Switch Suggestion List

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Put the POE switch and the BI PC on a UPS.

Modem -> Router -> Gigabit switch -> POE switch -> camera
.............................................|
.............................................|-> BI PC